Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our software engineers work on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology. We're constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information to doctors and patients.
About the AI Team
The Invitae AI team is composed of AI Scientists and AI Engineers who work together with other Invitae engineering teams as well as academic collaborators to bring state of the art artificial intelligence to our mission. Our definition of AI is bigger than machine learning, including interests in representation, reasoning, optimization, and logic. However, we know that all of these methods are at their best when thoughtfully leveraging contemporary machine learning.
About AI Engineers
AI Engineers work with our AI Scientists and other engineering teams at Invitae to implement solutions to contemporary problems in artificial intelligence, data science, and computational biology. At Invitae, we rely on many artificial intelligence methods in coordination with machine learning, such as natural language processing, computer vision, representation learning, causal inference, planning, and reasoning. We surface these technologies with "human in the loop" interfaces, where we also conduct research on human-computer interaction with our staff of domain experts.
Desired candidates are strong coders with professional software engineering experience. Academic candidates with strong internship histories will also be considered.
They can quickly code modular end-to-end prototypes using "off-the-shelf" machine learning models as baselines. And when those baselines are not strong enough, they are curious in developing custom solutions. They eagerly leverage any technology required to solve our problems, and embrace the Invitae culture of open and genuine communication.
What you will do:
* Implement state of the art solutions alongside AI Scientists
* Create platform infrastructure make solutions repeatable
* Collaborate with other software engineering teams to integrate and scale solutions
What you bring:
* Advanced degree in computer science or related field
* Industry software engineering experience
* Practical experience with basic machine learning and deep learning frameworks
* Interest in the fundamental understanding of machine learning and AI methods
* Expert with Python 3
* Experience with HTTP API design and implementation (REST)
* Experience with Linux, DevOps, and AWS tools
* Ability to both guide and accept guidance from team members
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Interest in solving problems in the healthcare domain to make observable improvements in patient and clinician experiences
Other things you are excited about:
* Computational Biology
* Computer vision (neural, multimodal methods)
* Natural language processing
* Interactive Agent systems (conversational agents, decision support systems)
* Recommender systems (heterogenous networks, matrix factorization)
* Graphical models, graph databases, graph embeddings
* Active learning and "human in the loop" methods
* Reinforcement learning (bandits, online algorithms)
* Serverless computing (AWS Lambda)
* Stream processing (Kafka)
* Enterprise search platforms (Lucene, Solr, Elastic Search, Learning to Rank)
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
InVitae provides genetic diagnostics for hereditary disorders.