Finance Business Intelligence Developer
Location: San Francisco, Bay Area (required)
Invitae is the fastest-growing genetic information companies, whose mission is to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medical practice to improve the quality of healthcare for billions of people.
Specializing in genetic diagnostics in clinical areas across all stages of life, Invitae is aggregating the world's genetic tests into a single service with better quality, faster turnaround time, and lower prices.
Our Finance team is looking for a Business Intelligence (BI) Developer. Could that be you? We believe in a culture of transparency that puts patients first, builds excellent experiences, and celebrate victories together as a team. If you're looking to take the next step of your career and be the next leader in a renowned genetics company, see if this role is right for you.
Why should you consider a career with Invitae?
With so many companies to choose from, we know how critical it is to find an environment and leadership team that champions empowerment and career growth. It's impossible to distill our culture into three or four feel-good and non-controversial statements, but it is not impossible to describe what we aspire to:
* Team above the individual
* Radically honest communication
* Freedom with accountability
* Transparency and data-informed action
* A sense of urgency
Invitae's culture is one of transparency and is characteristic of a tight-knit community. We believe in putting patients first, building a seamless customer experience, and celebrating victories together.
Our Finance team here at Invitae is responsible for all things related to reporting the financial performance of the company including revenue, cost of goods sold (COGS), expense, capital expenditures and compliance with all relevant regulations and SEC reporting. The diverse team consists of specialists in accounting, AR/AP, payroll, internal/external metrics & reporting, mergers & acquisitions, finance program management and more. The team is tight-knit and reports to our Chief Financial Officer.
Finance and revenue recognition in the life science industry, specifically the diagnostics field, is uniquely different than in other industries. It can be subjective, deals with big data and is quite complex. We are looking for a unique individual who has significant finance business acumen combined with technical expertise who is excited by these challenges. This role is approximately 60% technical and 40% business.
The Finance Business Intelligence Developer will be pivotal to the completion of the development of our financial data warehouse as well as its ongoing administration and enhancements. The developer will work closely with business leaders, functional leaders, organizational units, and subject matter experts to ensure the health and accuracy of the financial reporting platform. The Finance Business Intelligence Developer will be responsible for executing on the day-to-day configuration, support, maintenance and improvement of the financial data warehouse. This includes technical management and administration of SQL environments and business intelligence tools and technologies.
This individual will be accountable for identifying new and ongoing data warehouse requirements by analyzing current applications and operations. They will also propose and design system optimizations including complex transformations, queries, user interactions and new reports. The role will require transforming large amounts of finance and revenue data via SQL queries and processes into actionable information.
What success looks like for this role
Essential Functions/Duties Responsibilities
* Serve as primary lead for the financial data warehouse user environment
* Effectively act as the liaison between our users, vendors and development teams
* Work independently with members of the user community to define and document development requirements including prototypes to validate system requirements
* Assist in training of new users, and grow the data warehouse user skill set across the organization
* Develop and update technical documentation and quality assurance processes
* Write SQL queries to store, sort and retrieve data ranging from basic commands to complex rule-based transformations fetching and managing data across many tables
* Develop and maintain controls related to revenue recognition and receivables process
* Oversee end-user training and support related to all in-scope systems
* Work with data engineering to devise strategic solutions to recurring problems
* Excellent project management skills and a positive attitude
* Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle and prioritize simultaneous requests, and manage laterally and upwards
* Ability to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs
* Creative and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills
* Maintain relevant industry knowledge regarding SQL tools, techniques, product, best practices, processes, and trends
* You are a communicative person that values building strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders and have the ability to explain complex topics in simple terms
* You thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment and consistently overachieve
* You are curious and when something does not make sense, you dive in to investigate; looking at the data and identifying the questions and conversations that need to take place
* In previous roles, you demonstrated a strong aptitude for dealing with large data sets and translating your findings using effective methods for various stakeholders
* Passionate about quality: a love of testing, tuning, and analysis through a rigorous scientific approach
* 8-10+ years of experience with hands-on roles in database administration or BI tools, finance, project management or related fields
* Experience working in the financial services industry or supporting an internal, corporate finance function
* BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Computer Science or related field
* Experience in database engineering/optimization including strong expertise in SQL best practices, queries and frameworks
* Experience with BI tools, processes and data optimization (Tableau preferred)
* Proven ability to design and implement new processes and facilitate user adoption
* A demonstrated ability to understand and articulate complex requirements
* Experience in project management practices, methodologies, and leading projects through the full lifecycle of inception to launch
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
* Technical experience performing advanced analytics with large datasets (including via Microsoft Excel)
* Ability to demonstrate the value of data and relationships as the basis for delivering actionable intelligence to the business
* Proficiency with Tableau
* Experience using a variety of database technologies such as Postgres or MySQL
* Experience with SOX controls and compliance
* Experience developing financial reporting solutions
* Working knowledge of financial systems, Intact accounting software preferred
* Experience in life science, healthcare industries or diagnostics segment
* Domain knowledge in clinical genetics
InVitae provides genetic diagnostics for hereditary disorders.