* Type of Hire
External or Internal
* Job Description
What You'll Do
The Technical Assistance Center (TAC) team seeks a Technical Consulting Engineer in Wireless LAN technology to join some of the industry's brightest minds in developing and deploying today's most advanced network technologies. In this role, you will gain insight on the detailed functionality of Cisco products and partner with all distributed elements of the service chain.
The Wireless Enterprise LAN Technical Consulting Engineer position has the following responsibilities:
* Provide second level phone/email/Webex consultation to independently troubleshoot and resolve complex product problems for Cisco customers.
* Act as a focal point for network problem resolution.
* Act as a technical expert on Wireless networking and Cisco Wireless network elements, both hardware and software.
* Provide support on a world-wide basis, including escalations.
Who You'll Work With
Customer Success Team is team of extraordinary technical authorities whose #1 focus is to help customers deploy and operate their networks effectively while delivering the best possible customer experience. Our success is validated through extraordinary financial results, growing customer happiness metrics, industry recognition, and employee happiness. Cisco's Technical Assistance Center The Wireless LAN Services team provides second/third level technical support on a worldwide basis via phone, email, web and remote access for Wireless LAN products and devices to Cisco customers, partners, account teams, and other TAC engineers via phone/email/Webex consultation to independently fix & debug product problems.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate demonstrates an aptitude and appetite for learning new technologies, evidenced by the ability to expand upon core knowledge.This is a great opportunity for someone with patience and an empathetic view of the customer to hone their skills and advance their career providing value to customers while working with an industry leader in networking technology.
Required Product Knowledge and Technical Skills:
* Working knowledge of Networking industry, products and protocols.
* Minimum 2-4 years experience designing, deploying, configuring, supporting, troubleshooting, debugging and administering some of the following Wireless LAN products, devices, and technologies for small, medium, large and/or enterprise businesses such as the following:
* Wireless Access Points
* Wireless Client Association
* Wireless Controllers
* CSMA/CA, RTS, CTS protocols
* RF transmission
* IEEE 802.11 standards (a,b,g), 802.1x Wi-Fi
* 802.1Q Trunking
* Ether channel
* Strong understanding of LAN Switching technologies (VLANs)
* WLAN Security in the areas of authentication, encryption, IDS/IPS using Radius, AAA authentication, EAP, LEAP, PEAP, PSK
* AES-CCMP encryption (AES- Counter w. CBC MAC Protocol)
* Wireless Sniffers
* WEP encryption (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
* WPA (Wi-Fi Protocol Access), WPA2
* Cisco LWAPP and IOS based solutions
* WLSM, WiSM, WCS
* Ability to make significant contribution on support communities through posts, blogs and videos.
* Ability to keep our knowledge portals current through article contributions.
* Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
* Ability to handle critical customer issues/problems.
* Able to determine problems and deliver known solutions with a high level of customer satisfaction.
* Ability to determine root cause and resolution for previously unknown problems.
* Works on problems of moderate to wide scope and moderate to high complexity where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors.
* Exercises judgment within defined procedures to determine appropriate action.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
* Knowledge of scripting including Python a plus.
* Interacts across TAC teams and development teams at peer level.
* Ability to work effectively with and provide guidance to other members of the work group.
* Promotes and solicits ideas within project team(s).
* Receives minimal supervision.
* Receives no instruction on routine work and general instruction on new assignments.
* Ability to analyze, use and configure small to medium networks.
* Proven crisis management skills.
* Typically reports to Manager - Customer Delivery.
* Typically interfaces with partners, other TAC teams, and internal engineering departments.
* Impact is major.
* Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
* Applies known solutions to solve problems.
* Typically requires BS in a technical field (CS/EE preferred) or equivalent plus 2 to 4 years related experience.
CCIE desired / preferred but not required.
This position must reside in Richardson, Texas. Work location is in the Cisco office.
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco
Cisco is a global company that designs and sells a broad range of technologies across networking, security, collaboration, applications, and the cloud.