At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the role:
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
There are multiple openings in the Inrastructure and Product Platform TPM team, including:
* Core Services - on the middleware of Uber's technical stack between product teams and infrastructure. Enable the customer platform, for the whole org and all users, as an extensible foundation for services to be built on, based on shared logical entities.
* Knowledge Management
* Secure Infrastructure Foundations
* Developer Experience - projects includes developer productivity, rationalize and improve standard infrastructure service offerings.
* Infra capacity and efficiency - includes company-wide HW budget planning.
* Operational Storage - projects include rationalizing and driving roadmaps of core storage offering across schemaless, cassandra, SOA DBs etc.
* Software networking - projects include scaling service discovery and routing across the whole infra stack, and short term projects such as HAProxy to Muttley migration.
* Analytics data infrastructure and platform - projects includes driving AI and ML adoptions and practices.
* Privacy and Access - work closely with the CISO's teams driving a world-class privacy and access program, owning the strategy and execution of multiple business-critical privacy and access related initiatives.
Growth Platform - communication tools (SMS, Push, email, voice) migration and compliance, across Driver, Money, Risk, Eats, etc.
What you'll do:
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
* Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives . Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
* Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
* Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
* Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
* Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
What You'll need:
* Minimum of 5 years experience as a program / project manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
* Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence, motivate, and align people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
* Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
* Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
* Metrics driven: Experience determining effective program KPI's and using them to measure program success and issues.
* Proven strong cross-functional, cross-org stakeholder management and verbal/written communications are key.
Bonus points if (optional):
* Computer Science degree, or related field.
* Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
* Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
* Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
About the Team:
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of our Product and Engineering organizations.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.