We are a growing multi-disciplinary team addressing everyday customer needs through a combination of software engineering, web development, hardware development, and applied research. We are looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to lead system design, drive a high technical standard on the team, mentor more junior staff, and craft/ship great code. If this is intriguing, read on.
For apparel and shoes ("softlines"), the convenience, selection, and price benefits of shopping online have yet to be fully realized. Today the online shopper faces challenges on multiple fronts: discovering interesting items in a sea of products, evaluating fit, and assessing cut and other style details.
Our team's ultimate goal is for customers to easily discover items they will like and to get the right size on the first try: across the globe, on laptops and mobile, etc.
Our technical challenges involve hardware engineering, applied science, back-end software engineering, and user interface development. We need to build and use hardware for data capture. We need to develop and apply quantitative algorithms (e.g. machine learning, computer vision) to make recommendations. We need to build software to train models and apply them…at Amazon scale. We need to build beautiful, intuitive, responsive user interfaces that our customers will use to discover items, evaluate fit and style, and refine our understanding of their tastes.
As a member of the team, you can have a huge impact on everything from the functionality we deliver for our customers, to the architecture of our systems, to the algorithms we employ, to the culture we build. Some of the job duties include:
* Ability to develop and apply quantitative algorithms (e.g. machine learning, computer vision) to build software in understanding customer behaviors and fit preferences.
* Ability to understand customers, architect systems that can scale, algorithms that impact KPI's and most important of all drive a culture of delivering results and improving quality of products shipped.
* Ability to Apply object-oriented and functional design techniques with sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills to Design and develop complex distributed systems with 24X7 operating reliability and high efficiency.
* Ability to use distributed, service-oriented architecture techniques to build Amazon systems in achieving high operational excellence.
* Ability to lead a critical and highly-visible function with autonomy to deliver the technical direction of the service, and the feature roadmap within the retail organization.
* Ability to use software engineering best practices to Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverable.
* Ability to assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
* Ability to collaborate with partner teams and engineers across organization in delivering software/solutions that contributes to the vision and goals of the organization.
* Have excellent written and verbal communication skills to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to leadership and teams.
If you are interested and relate to Amazon's Leadership Principles (https://www.amazon.jobs/principles), please apply: we would love to explore opportunities for you on our team.
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.