Do you want to be on the leading edge of using big data to drive engineering and product decisions for the biggest productivity software in the planet? Office Experience Organization's (OXO) mission is to delight our customers with compelling products and services. The Fundamentals User & Enterprise Lifecycle (FUEL) team is looking for an experienced professional with a passion for delivering business value with data insights and analytics to join our team as a Senior Data Scientist. Specifically, you will be working on the Growth and User Lifecycle Data Science team to drive engagement and monetization for Office apps (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) across all platforms (client, web, mobile). Your work will directly drive growth in our consumer userbase, 30M+ paid subscribers and 40M+ free users.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist with a proven track record of solving complex data analysis and machine learning problems in a real-world product setting. We want folks who are passionate about consumer products and driving user engagement and growth. An ideal candidate will closely partner with product teams to drive product/business growth with meaningful insights and data-driven recommendations. OXO product teams are very experimentation and metrics-driven and they partner closely with data science to help drive product success. Experience driving growth in a subscription business is preferred.
Your primary responsibilities include understanding the product/business, conducting opportunity analysis, defining product metrics, setting metric targets, building data-driven hypothesis and running high-quality experiments to hit those targets. You are ultimately responsible for identifying and prioritizing the opportunities that you see and driving product investments. You will leverage the latest machine learning and predictive modeling techniques to identify and predict desired end-user outcomes, work with product engineers to test and implement features or communication that improve end user outcomes. A successful candidate must tell clear and compelling stories, write papers, and make presentations to educate and inform the product teams and help shape the product and continuously improve our data-driven culture.
* M.S or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Data Science, Economics/Econometrics, Statistics, Operations Research, or a similar quantitative field
* Solid foundation understanding of core data science concepts, statistical modeling, machine learning algorithms and experimental design
* 5+ years experience with statistical, ML or data mining algorithms for real world problems.
* 5+ years hands on experience with advanced ML techniques for classification, regression, recommendations, or pattern recognition.
* 5+ years hands on experience with one or more statistical software like R, SAS, Tableau, etc.
* 5+ years hands on experience with one or more scripting languages like Perl, Python or SQL
* 3+ years experience running large-scale AB/multi-variate experiments and interpreting results.
* 3+ years experience with developing and operationalizing product metrics
* Experience working on a subscription business/product is preferred
* Experience with communicating insights to different organization level
* Experience with using data visualization tools
* Deep understanding of big data systems, including map reduce technologies like Hadoop/Spark
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Understand the business/user problems. Identifies and prioritizes business opportunities, and clearly communicates insights and compelling data-driven stories.
* Partner with PM, engineering, research and other data scientists to formulate data-driven answers to hard business and decision-making problems, applying a wide variety of analytical and modeling techniques
* Identify and integrate multiple data sources, develop expertise, apply the latest cutting-edge machine learning and modeling techniques to identify new patterns.
* Applies (or develops if necessary) tools and pipelines to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare massive volumes of data for analysis.
* Transforms problems into analysis plans for data telemetry, metrics, predictive modeling, reporting, and experimentation. Communicates and gets alignment on analytics priorities
* Interprets results and develops insights with the appropriate business/user context.
* Communicates key outcomes with stakeholders and leadership.
* Acquires and uses broad knowledge of technical methods, algorithms, and tools, both within Microsoft and with the external scientific community.
* Validates, monitors, and drives continuous improvement to methods, and proposes enhancements to data sources that improve usability and results.
* Able to coach and mentor other data scientists for technical and product skills. Enables others to deliver high quality deliverables with increased throughput
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.