We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Do you take pride in building tools that allow developers to continuously ship high quality software? We're seeking an Engineering Manager to lead iOS efforts on our Mobile Developer Experience team. The team is part of our Point of Sale Platform team, a significant and sustained investment to accelerate the work of hundreds of iOS developers at Square.
We believe local development and CI should be remarkable. While our mobile codebases are necessarily large, we'd like teams to be sheltered from this complexity on a day-to-day basis. With your help, engineers writing and building new code will feel empowered to focus on solving problems for their customers, not spend time wrangling their development environment.
We take pride in our commitment to extensive UI testing. We run thousands of UI tests on every pull request. The MDX team builds and maintains the infrastructure and frameworks that keep those tests running. We build in-house when needed-including a cluster of several hundred Macs to run our UI tests-and we integrate with best-in-class vendors where possible. With your help, our developers will land their code quickly and reliably, focused on responding to feedback from their colleagues, not tending to their build until it goes green.
You will be joining a mobile platform team that is making continuous investments in developer productivity and code quality. You'll help us set goals, lay out our roadmap, drive key metrics, and deliver meaningful change.
* Manage 6+ engineers working across iOS build, test, release, and macOS infrastructure.
* Create a roadmap that enables us to stay ahead of the release of new devices, development tools and operating systems, giving us maximum flexibility to adopt new features as well as stay on top of security requirements.
* Grow the MDX team, targeting the roles with the highest impact across iOS and Mac infrastructure.
* Own local development, CI and release automation for Square's flagship iOS Point of Sale products.
* Drive strategic decisions on how to shape the mobile developer experience within Square.
* Own the success of your team's projects and deliver quantifiable results in a timely manner.
* Be the primary liaison for your stakeholders, leading and participating in technical discussions across all our mobile engineering teams.
* Relevant BA/BS degree or equivalent industry experience (5+ years preferred).
* 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including feedback, performance, hiring, career guidance).
* Experience developing at least one of: iOS apps, SDKs, build systems and/or CI infrastructure.
* Experience collaborating with other engineering leaders and cross-functional team members.
* A background in software engineering and the proven ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance to your team.
* Interest in collaborating and networking across the industry on best practices for supporting large teams of iOS engineers.
Even better (but still get in touch if you haven't done these):
* A track record of using data to drive decision making and prioritization, including setting targets and managing SLAs.
* Recent hands-on iOS development experience with Objective-C/Swift, Xcode, CocoaPods, XCTest/KIF, etc.
* Familiarity with alternatives to Xcode for building iOS apps, e.g. Bazel, Buck, CMake, etc.
* Familiarity with strategies for distributing or caching iOS builds, sharding tests, improving test stability, etc.
* Experience managing vendor relationships, cloud budgets, and contractors.
* Experience building out physical clusters of computers, even better if it's on macOS.
* Experience with CI infrastructure such as Jenkins (or a third-party such as TravisCI, CircleCI, etc.)
At Square, our purpose is to empower - within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Square is a company providing software, hardware, and financial services products.