Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. Nextdoor's mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.
We're seeking an experienced software engineer to design, build, and maintain high-performance, scalable, and reliable data services and infrastructure that power Nextdoor. Our team aims to provide self-service tools that empower our product engineers, data scientists, and business users to make decisions quickly and easily through seamless access to our data. We leverage a variety of AWS components in conjunction with Airflow, Spark, Hive, and Presto to automate data processing, analyze A/B tests, power product features, machine learning, and more.
You should love working in a collaborative environment where we are more interested in reaching the right answer than being the one with the best idea. You should be comfortable with petabytes of data, writing crisp design documentation, and building, debugging, and maintaining highly available distributed systems. You value both software and data quality, as well as have experience writing test suites that ensure bullet-proof correctness.
Some projects on the horizon:
* Next-gen A/B testing framework
* Unsupervised anomaly detection system
* Machine learning platform
* Tools and automation to ensure proper instrumentation and collection of data
* BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science (or equivalent) with specific interest in data platform engineering; 3+ years industry experience preferred
* Experience working on high-performance technical teams and software engineering projects
* Strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms
* Extensive experience in one or more of the following languages: Python, Go, or Java
* Experience designing, building, and debugging distributed systems
* Experience architecting and deploying distributed systems on the Amazon AWS platform a plus
* Experience working in both batch-oriented (hive, spark, etc) and stream-oriented (flink, storm, spark-streaming, etc) data processing
* Data modeling and warehousing
* Familiarity with software engineering standard methodologies (e.g., design patterns, peer code reviews, unit testing)
* Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
* Experience writing technical specifications and design documents
* Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic start-up environment
* Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems
* 100% company-paid health insurance premiums (medical, dental, and vision) for you and your dependents
* Paid vacation and company holidays
* Free catered dinners Monday through Thursday and catered lunch on Wednesdays
* Monthly gym stipend
* One time cell phone & headphone stipend
* Annual learning and development stipend
* Two paid volunteer days off
* Pre-tax commuter benefits
* Fully stocked kitchen with drinks, snacks and candy
* La Marzocco espresso machine with Blue Bottle coffee
* Health FSA
* 401K plan
To learn more, check out our engineering blog at https://engblog.nextdoor.com.
Nextdoor is a social network that enables members to communicate with neighbors.