In 2019, consumers are projected to take over a trillion photos and videos, and Amazon Photos is one of Amazon's newest and fastest growing Prime benefits. We provide unlimited, original resolution photo storage for Prime members who now have a simple, secure place to store their existing collections of photos, automatically upload new photos as they are taken, and access them anytime, anywhere, at no additional cost. We store hundreds of petabytes of data and provide apps for customers to access their photos and videos on Android, iOS, Mac, PC, and web.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to lead architecture and development for our mobile apps on Android. This role is a mix of 70% hands-on coding and development and 30% leadership, architecture, and mentoring. In this role, you will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to the future of Amazon Photos. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced startup-like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged. In particular, you will have the unique opportunity to help build a brand new Android app from the ground up - no React Native here, as performance and OS integration will be key. The ideal candidate will have strong software design skills, experience with automated testing, and a desire to execute quickly and robustly on a product with big business impact.
* Architect, design, develop and deploy new features for our Android apps, working with multiple back-end teams.
* Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing Android apps.
* Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
* Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology, and evaluate technical feasibility.
* Work in an agile / scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules.
* Establish architectural principles, select design patterns, and mentor team members on their appropriate application.
* Help define and implement standards and promote best practices for the Android development team.
* Analyze and optimize applications to maximize speed and scale, factoring in mobile network latency and bandwidth constraints.
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.