In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and an important driver of the explosive growth of esports. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in multiple broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer in Reliability, you'll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You'll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Reliability on the Team China Technology team, you would be the technical authority at the rare intersection of Riot's products and the massive Tencent infrastructure that supports us in China. Our customers are the hundreds of Riot Engineers who build and support League globally, and the millions of League of Legends players in the region. Our focus is on improving Riot's operational visibility into League of Legends in China. We also promote technical collaboration and execution between Riot and Tencent engineers to expose, process, and visualize operational data (configuration, versions, metrics, logging) for the largest deployment of League of Legends in the world.
* Improve Reliability + Availability + Delivery (Domain Expertise).
* Engineer systems + processes that minimize operational toil (Programming).
* Role model standard methodologies for effective resolution of issues in China (Craft).
* Build a deep architectural + operational understanding of Riot and Tencent technologies.
* Actively handle + reduce risks around new deployments and configurations.
* Drive collaboration + understanding inside and outside your team.
* lift the expertise and skills of people around you.
* Collaborate closely with Riot + Tencent DevOps engineers to assess and fix live LoL incidents in China.
* Engineer long-term solutions to automate the "operational toil" needed to achieve high-quality, high-reliability, and high-availability Riot experiences for our players in China
* Technical authority: You've spent 7+ years pursuing serious engineering challenges, both as a developer and as an operator of important Production systems. Specifically, you have:
* 90% of the technical qualifications of a Sr. Software Engineer
* Deep hands-on experience with Linux system internals and L2-L7 networking
* Adaptable: You quickly adapt to new challenges, even if it's outside of your expertise. You excel in startup environments, are familiar wearing multiple hats, and have experience learning new skills across multiple domains + disciplines.
* Clear communicator: You create clarity in communication, by being concise and articulate. You listen well, you build strong relationships, and bring visibility to technical decisions made on your team to the broader company. You're fluent in Chinese and English, and can guide effective collaboration with Chinese-speaking engineers.
* Sound decision-maker: You use a framework for making decisions. You make trade-offs explicit, when balancing the long-term strategies and short-term tactics. You know when to call for help.
* An Engineer that others want to partner with: You have a positive, outgoing, and empathetic personality in high demand situations. Instead of making empty complaints, you come prepared with potential solutions. You seek constructive criticism of your designs, and can anticipate potential future issues.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
* Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
* Open paid time off
* Retirement benefits with company matching
* Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
* Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
* We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don't forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we'll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Perform.
About Riot Games
Riot Games is a global company that develops online games.