Zymergen is building the technology for a reconfigurable, fully-automated, industrial microbe factory. The microbial strains this factory creates will produce new chemicals with properties unlike anything that can be derived from petroleum. Building this factory requires talented engineers across three disciplines: hardware, software, and biology. Zymergen is recruiting a Senior Software Engineer to join the team building the software that controls our factory automation.
The core of these projects is Python running on Ubuntu servers or in Docker containers. These are distributed systems using message buses and databases. They communicate with other systems, written in a mix of Java and C#. They control machinery in the biofactory and they analyze data collected by that machinery.
We have no explicit "must-haves" for this role. Instead, we think of candidates as being a better and better fit the more of these attributes they have:
* 3 or more years working experience
* A four year degree in CS, engineering, or other relevant field
* Expertise in the following areas:
* Python or another modern OO language
* Using a network to communicate between software components
* Scalability and performance
* Linux software development tools and practices
* Relational databases
* Experience designing, implementing and maintaining APIs
* Fluency with software engineering best practices like unit testing and continuous integration with tools like git, JIRA, pytest, Jenkins
* Demonstrated ability to work with a team of highly-motivated engineers
* The ability to document the designs and decisions and present it to the whole technical team
* Work experience in the biotech industry or with automation equipment
* Experience with:
* Django, Flask
* Message broker systems (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc.)
* .NET technologies (C#, LINQ)
* Configuration management tools (e.g. Puppet)
* Interfacing with hardware (RaspberryPI, National Instruments, Programmable Logic Controllers)
* Scheduling algorithms or other constraint satisfaction algorithms
Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology-driven company applying radical new methods to design and improve microbes by rewriting their DNA. This capability allows us to generate novel chemicals, advanced materials, and pharmaceuticals far faster and at lower costs than competing technology. Our approach combines biology, robotic automation, and proprietary computational and analytic methods to industrialize what is otherwise a slow, risky process.
Working at Zymergen offers software engineers exposure to a field that makes a difference in the lives of millions of people: low-cost, scalable chemical manufacturing touches everything from how airplanes are built to the frontiers of life-saving medicines. In addition to working with scientists and engineers at a fast-growing startup and with a competitive salary package, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are building a future for our world that was the realm of science fiction just ten years ago.
Previous experience in a Life Sciences company or setting is not essential. Interest in working at one is.
Our offices are located in Emeryville, CA. Emeryville is adjacent to Berkeley & Oakland and within easy commuting distance of San Francisco.
Individuals seeking employment at Zymergen are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Zymergen researches, develops and manufactures microbes.