AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing remarkably well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that encourages innovation and teamwork. Our vision of a phenomenal place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and passionate about a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are inspired to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organization design, culture, technology and processes.
If you're driven by the idea of harnessing science to improve patients' lives and transforming the wider healthcare environment, fully demonstrating your IT expertise in the process, then Science and Enabling Units IT (SEUIT) is the place to be.
Our SEUIT vision is to deliver the best IT capabilities in biopharma, which we define as agile, responsive and fit-for-future. Our goal is to engage with our stakeholders as a strategic partner in delivering life-changing medicines to our patients.
As an AstraZeneca Data & Analytics engineer, you are a data professional with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics and significant depth in at least one technical area. You will need to undertake hands-on solution delivery as well as provide technical leadership. The Data and Analytics engineering team develops solutions across internal and external cloud infrastructure including AWS, Azure and GCP. As part of a global IT team, with colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico, you will need to be a good communicator and have a collaborative delivery approach. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service.
In this role, you will work closely with bioinformatics and bench scientists across the organization to develop solutions to support the automation and scaling of key processes and advanced analytics pipelines. You will also be part of a team responsible for developing data storage, management and querying capabilities that ensure that AstraZeneca's data is Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR) organization-wide and can be used for the machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques of the future.
If you have a real passion for delivering well-engineered data and analytics solutions, this is the opportunity you have been waiting for.
Flexible or part-time working could potentially be considered.
* Deliver cost-effective, scalable, automated solutions in the bioinformatics space, including data management services, orchestration of data processing pipelines, frameworks for integration and advanced analytics of multi-omics data and data interpretation tools for Data Scientists and Bioinformatic Scientists.
* Be hands-on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and crafting the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
* Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project work.
Desirable technical skills & experience
* Real passion for Life Science, ideally domain knowledge and experience in bioinformatics related data engineering (e.g. Genomics, Transcriptomics, Metabolomics, or Proteomics).
* Experience of working with a range of Data & Analytics architectures: Data warehousing, NoSQL, container technology (Docker), distributed computing (Spark) etc.
* Experience of cloud techniques and tools (S3, SQS, SNS, Lambda, Step Functions, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark, SOLR, Clickhouse).
* Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions.
* In-depth programming skills in at least one of the following programming languages: Java, Python, Scala.
* Experience of building unit tests, integration tests, system tests and acceptance tests.
* Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (e.g Jenkins, Nexus, Artifactory, Git).
* Experience of data analysis - profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures.
* Familiar with data modelling techniques and hands-on data modelling experience.
* Familiar with Agile project delivery methodology.
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a phenomenal fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca is a global science-led biopharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, development, manufacturing, and marketing of prescription medicines.