Microsoft's IP Group brings together deep technical and intellectual property expertise and competitive analysis to create new IP-driven business opportunities for Microsoft. We build strong and robust intellectual property portfolios to advance Microsoft's mission through support of product strategies, acquisitions and divestitures, formation of joint-ventures and industry consortiums, and negotiation of complex cross-licensing agreements and strategic alliances.
We are looking for an experienced engineer who combines a deep knowledge of at least one of the following: processor (CPU/GPU) architectures, instruction set architectures, graphics, or semiconductor manufacturing processes, and a strategic thinker with a curiosity about technology markets, compete ecosystems, and the underlying trends driving them. If you are passionate about developing IP driven business for Microsoft, we would like to talk to you!
* Ideal candidates will have prior engineering or research experience with some of the following: silicon architectures, semiconductor devices and structures, instruction set architectures, integrated circuits, device sub-systems (display, sensors), black box testing, reverse engineering, hardware and software debugging.
* Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to explain complex situations to diverse audiences
* Demonstrated ability to partner on projects with others, working across organizations and functions
* Experience in patent analysis and/or supporting patent licensing activities or interest in learning about patents and intellectual property.
* A B.S. degree (M.S. or Ph.D preferred) in electrical engineering, computer science or similar area, or significant work experience in hardware development and/or technical program management.
* 5+ years of engineering and/or research experience in one or more of the following hardware related technologies and applications:
* Semiconductor device manufacturing and circuits
* SoC design, CPU and GPU architectures
* Graphics and video processing
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
In this role you will work closely with licensing executives, engineers in Microsoft's businesses, and patent prosecution and litigation attorneys to drive patent development, licensing programs, litigation efforts, acquisition efforts, and other forms of IP business.
Key responsibilities include:
* Applying your technical expertise to review patent portfolios to identify competitive value as well as risks and gaps, and designing business strategies based on these analyses
* Reviewing patents to provide guidance on decisions at various points in patent lifecycle as well as to map patented technologies to competitive implementations
* Performing analysis, reverse engineering, testing and investigations on technologies that are implemented or on roadmaps in various industries
* Researching emerging technology areas, including working with Microsoft engineering teams, to identify critical areas of technology that will be important to Microsoft and various industries in the future
* Reviewing prospective ideas coming from inventors all over Microsoft and providing input on which ones should be patented
* Working with external vendors on many aspects of reverse engineering and portfolio analysis
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.