Cruise Automation, Inc.
We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people's lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We're building the world's most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
This candidate will be fully responsible for aspects of a subset of the AV engineering team's critical-path deliverables, including deployment and optimization of AV software, designing the architecture of our software stack to be able to run as efficiently as possible, and designing systems to monitor for regressions. Our engineers' career development and productivity are critical. The Senior Engineering Manager will lead the growth and organization of the team, mentor engineers and support career development, work with Engineering Managers and Technical Leads on design decisions and code review, and communicate team status and objectives with senior management across Cruise.
About the teams you could be a part of:
The Prediction team's role is to predict the likely future of what's happening around our vehicles. Prediction works to understand and represent the likely intent of nearby objects so that our consumers, planning, and controls, can make human-like decisions about how we should react. We use a variety of techniques ranging from geometric programming, probabilistic robotics to deep learning to understand the world around us.
The Tracking team aims to determine the current state of the world around our car as accurately as possible. We need to keep track of all the different cars, bikes and pedestrians near our car in order to safely drive, and tracking is where this all happens. We consume detections from each of our different sensors (cameras, radars, lidars) and output a semantic understanding of the world. The complex urban environments we test in require us to also detect and track emergency vehicles, construction workers / equipment, many different animals, and all kinds of weird and wacky situations.
The Remote Assistance system leverages human intuition to support autonomous vehicles in challenging situations. We build technology that allows humans to assist the AV's algorithms by suggesting a possible path and modifying constraints. The Remote Assistance team builds full stack software and scalable data pipelines to support our Autonomous Vehicle software development.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
* Lead and grow a team of first line engineering managers within the Autonomous Vehicle Engineering organization
* Ensure high-functioning, high-output team delivers high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
* Work with Engineering Managers and Tech Leads to set and communicate technical and product strategies, team direction, anticipating strategic and scaling-related challenges
* Work with teams across Cruise to foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
* Serve as an embodiment of our values
* Invest heavily in recruiting, identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
* Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
* Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
* Significant prior experience hiring, leading, and growing teams, successfully developing engineering managers into leaders
* Proven track record of shipping production quality software for mission-critical or complex software products
* Previous (10+ years) experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, robotics, or safety-critical project environments
* Experience managing multiple teams and initiatives in a mission-critical and fast-paced engineering organization
* Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
* Knowledge of security best practices, including authentication, static analysis
* Experience working with robotics, and in particular lidar point clouds
* Experience writing C++ in a production environment
* Worked on high-speed feedback loops
* Experience in code optimization or high performance computing
* Strategic, collaborative and execution-focused
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
* The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
* Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
* Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
* Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family's fleet
* Health and Wellness reimbursement
* Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
* State of the art equipment for your workstation
* Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About Cruise Automation, Inc.
Cruise Automation is a self-driving car company that develops an autopilot system for existing cars.
Cruise Automation, Inc.