About the Role:
PlanGrid is looking for a DevOps/Infrastructure Engineer to join our rapidly growing Data Center Operations team. The Data Center Operations team ensures infrastructure uptime, as well as the provisioning and management of AWS cloud resources for PlanGrid engineers. A big part of our job is enabling developers to have visibility into their service's performance by means of metrics, traces, and logging. Our growing team handles complex architectural projects to allow us to grow internationally, such as datacenter-level regional disaster recovery and eventually implementing self-healing infrastructure across many AWS regions.
In the last year, we've transitioned the company over to self-hosted Kubernetes from a legacy Heroku architecture, built high-availability and resiliency around database clusters through teardown infrastructure testing, written a Fluent daemon set to log all activity in our customer-facing pods in Kubernetes, implemented Go-based autoscalers for our EC2 instances, and contributed upstream to Spinnaker's codebase. We adhere to a DevOps methodology (as opposed to old-school operations) where developers -- not operations people -- are responsible for their code's reliable operation and where developers are empowered and trusted to make the changes necessary for reliability. Our work touches every layer of infrastructure, so we are looking for engineers with a broad range of operations and development experience, especially people who define success in terms of SLOs, SLIs, and SLAs, who care deeply about observability in distributed systems, and who have experience scaling out cloud systems to multiple regions worldwide.
* DevOps and systems experience is highly valued; If you've gotten your hands dirty with package and configuration management, infrastructure-as-code principles, Kubernetes, AWS, Linux and security, PostgreSQL replication, and know your way around Docker, bash and Python, we'd love to talk with you.
* You should be passionate about getting in front of problems instead of waiting until things are on fire. If you dream of stability, love metrics, communicate well, document your code, and love building reliable systems that hum along and take care of themselves, we want you on our team.
Our responsibilities include:
* Maintain/upgrade our Spinnaker + Kubernetes CI/CD pipeline, and the tooling that makes it all work, in a sane and reproducible way
* Automate infrastructure deployments with CloudFormation and SaltStack to help us go multi-AWS region
* Build observability into every aspect of our production infrastructure
* Participate in on-call rotations and be a model of how to manage incidents
* Reduce RPO/RTO for our S3, RDS, Redis, MongoDB, etcd and PostgreSQL instances
In your first 6 months on the team, you will:
* Build and roll out a new data center in the APAC region
* Help automate a multi-region datacenter failover with as little customer downtime as possible
* Move us closer to a world of rigorously tested immutable infrastructure, where all infrastructure is tested before it ever gets deployed
* Programmatically make secrets management painless and easy across distributed services
* Improve observability with distributed tracing for all requests from client to CDN to load balancer to cluster and back again
* Help developers smoke-test better by bringing canary analysis and automated scale testing into their world
* Located in San Francisco's Mission District just one block from BART, among local shops, bars, and restaurants
* Medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and dependents
* 401k + Company matching
* Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
* $500 annual wellness reimbursement
* Volunteering on company time + employee donation matching
* Pre-tax commuter benefits
* Dog-friendly office
* Catered lunches 3x/week
* We provide paid parental leave for both parents
* Construction site tours of the biggest projects in San Francisco using PlanGrid
PlanGrid, an Autodesk company, builds simple, beautiful software that construction teams love to use. As part of Autodesk Construction Solutions (ACS), whose mission is to seamlessly connect the office, trailer and the field across the entire construction project lifecycle, PlanGrid's mobile-first solutions empower general contractors, subcontractors, owners and architects to provide fast, accurate information to the field. With unparalleled adoption by field workers, PlanGrid is used on projects as the single source of truth for all construction data - including drawings, photos, and other critical documents. As a result, critical workflows are streamlined, efficiency is improved and field teams can take on more work and get more done. PlanGrid's software and other Autodesk Construction Solutions products enable a complete data set to move seamlessly through each phase of a building's lifecycle - from design and preconstruction to construction, turnover, and operations. PlanGrid is used on more 1.5 million construction projects in 100+ countries.
Join us as PlanGrid and ACS advance Autodesk's leadership in construction.
As part of GDPR compliance procedures, we have posted our Recruiting Privacy Notice on our website. Please also note that the advertised position is an opportunity with Autodesk, Inc. (https://www.autodesk.com/), as Autodesk recently acquired PlanGrid. Processing of your personal information as part of the job application process, and as part of Autodesk employment should a candidate be hired, will be handled by Autodesk pursuant to Autodesk's Candidate Privacy Statement, available at: https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/www/content/careers/autodesk_candidate_privacy_statement.pdf.
PlanGrid is a company that develops a cloud-based application that allows users to store blueprints and construction documents on iOS devices.