Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you're watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today's forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We're changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
As a senior data engineer within the Analytics team, you will be a trusted architectural leader, responsible for scaling our key data pipelines and defining the roadmap and strategy for the future of our internal data platform. You will collaborate with engineering and business leaders across the organization, improve our processing pipelines and ETL infrastructure, and help drive a data culture at Mapbox.
With pinpoint attention to detail, strong communication skills, and keen mentorship abilities, you will evaluate our current architecture and make key decisions about the technologies we use and tools we develop. You will be a standard bearer for data excellence across the company, empowering others to self-serve basic data needs. You are able to juggle between high-level strategic thinking with practical ground-level execution.
What You'll Do
* Optimize our spark processing pipelines and clusters, ensuring high-quality data is securely and reliably delivered to stakeholders.
* Build analytics tools that provide insight into customer acquisition, operational efficiency, and other key business performance metrics.
* Work closely with cross-functional Mapbox teams to develop and implement strategies for long term Analytics architecture, data quality framework, and data policies.
* Manage our querying platform and experimentation tools.
What We Believe Are Important Traits for This Role
* 6+ years of experience analyzing data in a fast-paced, data-driven environment.
* Technical fluency. Languages and tools such as Python/Java/Scala, AWS (S3/EMR/Athena/Glue) and SQL. Experience with big data processing tools including Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Yarn, and Airflow. Experience working with either a MapReduce system of any size/scale. We care about how you think; if you haven't worked directly with some of the tech in our stack, that's fine!
* Build for scale. History of building and maintaining repeatable processes and systems. You deliver on time and your data is rock solid. You look to the future, so that your processes hold up when the company doubles in size.
* Strong communication. Experience in communicating data warehouse plans to internal service owners and executives.
* Time management. You're able to execute on short-term objectives while protecting time for long term projects and strategic thinking. You ruthlessly prioritize, and know when to ask for help.
* Startup mindset. You are a self-starter and like to move fast and iterate.
* Attention to detail. You take pride in the quality of your data and processes and have a healthy amount of skepticism. You're not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dig in.
What We Value
* We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
* We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
* We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
* We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Noticefor applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Mapbox is a provider of a mapping platform for designers and developers.