Microsoft Research AI (MSR AI) seeks exceptional researchers in the area of reinforcement learning and related fields. MSR AI is comprised of researchers, engineers, and postdocs who take a broad perspective on the next-generation of intelligent systems, with focus areas ranging across machine learning, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, vision, decision making and program synthesis. We seek applicants working in reinforcement learning and related fields with a passion and demonstrated ability for independent research, including a strong publication record at top international research venues.
Examples of current directions include:
* Foundations of reinforcement learning, theory and algorithms, with an eye towards sample efficiency for real-world applications.
* Reinforcement learning applications in dialog systems, games, and user interactive systems.
* Natural language processing with applications to language understanding and language generation.
* Reinforcement learning and teaching in real-world applications.
For a sampling of recent publications from our lab, please see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/reinforcement-learning-group/. You should submit a CV and the names of at least three references as required by the online application.
You should also upload:
* The two conference or journal articles, book chapters, or equivalent writing samples which best demonstrate your expertise;
* An academic statement (approximately 2-4 pages) that outlines both your research achievements and agenda, and your service and outreach activities and plans (for example, those related to mentoring or diversity)
Successful candidates will have a PhD and a well-established research track record as demonstrated by publications and open source software. Additionally, scientific leadership as demonstrated by participation on program committees is desirable. You are encouraged to define your own research agenda, while also collaborating with members of the lab and broader academic community. You will also have the opportunities see your ideas realized in products and services that will be used worldwide.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the
Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
As a researcher in Microsoft Research AI, you will have the opportunity to develop your research career as a member of a world-class research organization. We offer a vibrant environment for cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research, both theoretical and applied, including access to diverse data sources, an open publication policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.