Segment is a privacy-forward company - from our first-party data forward values to the nature of our product and service offerings, privacy is at the foundation of what we do.
In this role, you will drive our privacy program that facilitates (1) privacy being baked into all of the products and infrastructure built at Segment and (2) privacy informing the tools (e.g., sales enablement tools) we use and decisions we make relating to our internal practices. The responsibilities are a blend of privacy product management, software engineering and project management. If you're a privacy engineer or program manager looking to get into a leadership position, this is a great opportunity for you to have impact across an entire company and build a world-class privacy program. Initially, the role will report to the General Counsel but may move as the role and the company evolve.
* Lead the privacy program in Segment EPD and throughout the company - ensure that privacy is baked into everything we build at every step of the software development lifecycle
* Grow and foster the existing culture of privacy in EPD
* Facilitate privacy by design in product development, IT and marketing projects, including by building performing privacy impact assessments, data mapping, and creating standards, procedures and guidelines
* Serve as first line of review of third-party tools to ensure that our use of tools is consistent with our first-party data philosophy and Segment's overall privacy values
* Measure and grow privacy maturity across the organization
* Facilitate Privacy Risk Management. Triage privacy issues and provide recommended fixes
* Evaluate new tools, processes, and frameworks; drive adoption of the best ones
* Publish Privacy Blogs and Whitepapers
* Collaborate with Product Management on Privacy Requirements and maintain Segment's Privacy Roadmap
* Serve as DRI for Data Ethics and Privacy Working Group, including driving agenda, preparation of pre-reads, ensuring relevant stakeholders represented, documenting decisions, etc.
* Manage GDPR Subject Access Request processing
* Collaborate with Sales on addressing customers' privacy requirements and questionnaires
* Review and respond to customer privacy audits and to regulatory privacy requirements
* Collaborate with Legal and Security on privacy controls and requirements like Data Deletion, Retention, and Access Controls
* You will have a min of 5 years experience as a PM and 1+ years of experience working with Privacy.
* Software engineering background - you may not be writing code, but you will be collaborating with software engineers on a daily basis
* Able to take inputs from variety of stakeholders (Legal, Product, Security, Marketing, Sales, Customer Success, etc.) to formulate and communicate well-reasoned recommendations relating to privacy matters
* Familiarity with cloud security, particularly AWS Security concepts
* Experience with privacy activities throughout the software development lifecycle- design reviews, data flow diagrams, tooling, testing, incident response
* Able to influence without authority and have excellent teamwork skills
* Attention to detail with advanced organizational and prioritization skills
* Exceptionally clear communication skills- you'll need to communicate effectively and build relationships with all levels and roles at Segment
* Ability to work independently and adaptively, anticipate and mitigate friction points, and take initiative to promptly resolve and learn from challenges
* Excellent ability to work across functions with legal, security, engineering and product managers
* IAPP Certification - CIPP, CIPM, CIPT
* Program / project management experience in software development organizations
* Experience implementing privacy in a software engineering / SaaS organization
* Experience managing customer privacy expectations
* Experience implementing controls for privacy programs including GDPR, ISO 27018 and SOC 2
* Work experience in a fast growth startup
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Segment is a company that develops a platform for collecting customer data.