About this role
We're FutureAdvisor. We're a FinTech company with a small-town vibe but some big-time resources. We're part of BlackRock, the largest asset manager on the planet, but we feel more like a startup. We've got a great new office space in the middle of the SoMa neighborhood in San Francisco. You'd want to grab a beer or a cold brew with the people here. We're not all financial experts. You don't have to be either. You just need to care passionately about what we do because it's important - more than 50% of all Americans won't have enough to cover basic needs once they retire. Together we can change that.
We build products that help financial advisors and their clients build and realize holistic plans to save for some of life's most important moments: buying a home, sending your kids to college, retirement. We partner with financial advisors and financial institutions across the nation who use our products with their customers. We believe that exceptional visual design is an essential ingredient to how we enable the power of BlackRock's Aladdin technology to improve the lives of financial advisors and investors.
We're redesigning our products from the ground up and we're growing our design team to help us build experiences that our partners can't wait for their advisors and clients to use. If you want to work on impactful solutions to a really challenging problem - producing better financial outcomes for families - then keep on reading!
We're looking for a Principal Visual Designer to join our growing design team. You are someone who is equally adept at hands-on design work and creating a multi-product design language for a world-class brand. You love the challenge of crafting creative, simple elegant visual designs for complex ideas.
Location: New York (Mid-town currently) preferred; San Francisco (SoMa) is an option
What you will be doing:
* Lead the visual design direction for BlackRock's advisor and investor experiences. You will be working across four applications: FutureAdvisor, Advisor Center, iRetire + Aladdin Wealth
* Own the quality of visual design execution across BlackRock's advisor and investor experiences, acting as a coach + primary reviewer of our product visual designs
* Be a key contributor to the definition of a design language across BlackRock's advisor and investor experiences, working with designers for Aladdin Wealth, Advisor Center, iRetire + FutureAdvisor
* Own the documentation + tools for our design system. Lead discussions with partners on how to apply our design language to branded versions of the core FutureAdvisor experience
* Be a hands-on visual designer for our toughest visual design challenges, while also helping designers on the team to raise their visual design game
* Be the expert on visual design trends within the investing, financial services + consumer software space. Evangelize and define the path for Aladdin Wealth Tech products to lead the industry in the creativity and quality of our design
What we are looking for
* 5+ years' experience as a visual designer of software applications (mobile + web).
* Experience creating and evolving a visual design language used across multiple designers
* Experience across multiple release cycles being "the" visual designer in a design team, including coaching and mentoring other designers to be better visual designers
* Exceptional communication skills (verbal, visual, written) with a proven ability to work with product managers + developers to realize exceptional application visual designs
* BFA degree in visual communications, graphic design or a related discipline
* A portfolio sharing creative visual design solutions to complex problems + a track-record of crafting and evolving design languages
What we would prefer (think rainbow unicorns):
* Experience working with a white-labelled product and with partner-theming of that product
* Hands-on understanding of how design languages are implemented on the web = familiarity with both UX frameworks (Angular, Bootstrap, React) and UI styling technology (CSS, Less.js, Sass)
* Familiarity with motion design
* Experience working with marketing and brand designers
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.52 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit @blackrock | Blog: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
BlackRock is an investment management company.