Analyze, design develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for commercial or end user applications. Writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will analyze and integrate external customer specifications. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture. Build new products and development tools. Build and execute unit tests and unit test plans. Review integration and regression test plans created by QA. Communicate with QA and porting engineering to discuss major changes to functionality.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Principal Software Engineer: Oracle Utilities | Opower
Downtown San Francisco
Oracle's Opower brand of services provides technology solutions to the leading utility companies around the world. Every day, customers check their usage, compare rate plans, and save electricity to make a cleaner energy future -- and Opower makes it all possible.
We are a creative and passionate group of highly-driven individuals, committed to building out the platform that powers the rapidly-evolving needs of utility companies, while making the world a better, greener, place to live for us all. These are big goals, and we need talented folks with equally big ambitions. Join us!
We're looking for a seasoned Principal Software Engineer who is passionate about designing, creating and delivering highly scalable distributed services to join our Data Services and APIs team. The team is part of Opower's Data Platform group. We work with state-of-the-art tools such as Hadoop and Spark to do everything from ingesting data to running machine learning jobs that analyze energy usage from tens of millions of customers, and create services that feed that data back to the rest of the Opower ecosystem.
* Design and develop high-availability, performant services, ingesting hundreds of millions of smart meter reads every day.
* Lead development and deployment of high-scale, low-latency systems
* Research and prototype new technologies to be introduced into our systems and infrastructure
* Collaborate with Product and Business Development to realize new products and features
* BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience (7 years)
* Solid background in multiple programming languages, e.g. Scala, Python, Java.
* Experience with distributed systems, e.g., Hadoop, Cassandra
* Passionate for system architecture and building distributed systems at high scale
* Comfortable working collaboratively and cross-team
* Strong ability to grasp complex technical concepts
* Experience developing service-oriented systems, REST or GraphQL
* Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with other highly skilled and driven peers
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write detailed technical plans
Oracle is a computer technology corporation developing and marketing computer hardware systems and enterprise software products.