Principal Engineer, Network Engineering (IP)
This position can be based in either Snoqualmie, WA or Frisco, TX.
The System Architecture Engineer's role in EIS Engineering Operations is to vet and operationalize all the IP and Security solutions/infrastructure in the T-Mobile Technology portfolio. Specific tasks may include the creation, adaption, or revision of detailed schematics of network and service architecture, hardware and software selections, and implementation techniques and processes. May be required to perform, evaluate, or interpret network simulation, test results, or leading-edge technology studies. Technical documentation and presentation skills are required in order to translate complex ideas to a wide range of audiences. Influence and drive industry forums. Works on technical assignments that are difficult, requiring judgment in resolving issues or in making recommendations. Determines methods and procedures on new assignments. Work is primarily project driven and can cover any area that falls into the IP and Security infrastructure with T-Mobile. Occasionally there is deviation from accepted practice, as business needs requires to drive projects to launch. Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions. Normally receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments. May be informal team leader.
The role is an Operations based role, that will liaise closely with Engineering teams to implement new projects within T-Mobile, ensuring the projects meet Operational requirements. The role will include assisting with Design, validating Lab results, integrating solutions to various monitoring and alerting tools, advising on RACI discussions, implementing FOA / SOA, updating or creating appropriate documentation, training various support teams, Tier 3 support and driving projects to completion. Night work will be required on occasion.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: "TMUS") is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile USA. Inc. provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.comQualifications
* 7+ Years Technical engineering experience
* Expertise in Layer 2/3/4 Protocols and IP Routing.
* Specific Expertise in at least two of the following - MPLS, AAV backhaul, SDN, WiFi networks or Security
* Proficient scripting and or programming skills.
* Focus: Able to communicate goals in support of the business' mission.
* Drive: Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure with minimal supervision - including the ability to simultaneously support multiple strategically significant tasks under fixed/accelerated deadlines.
* Teamwork: Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others on a team. Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships that can provide information, assistance, and support
* Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed. Express self clearly in conversations and interactions with others. Clear business and technical writing skills. The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
* Customer Focus: The ability to demonstrate concern and meet external and/or internal customers' needs
* Analytical: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
* Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
* Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
* Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
* Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others' commitment to their work.
* Night work will be required on occasion.
* Proficient in a scripting language - Perl, C++, Python, Powershell etc
* Proficient / Certified on one of the following - Cisco, Checkpoint or A10
* Bachelors Degree. Engineering, Computer Science
* In lieu of a degree, 14+ years of technical engineering experience may be considered.
Must be able to communicate with others effectively through written communication methods. Must be able to communicate (talking, hearing, etc.) with others effectively through oral communication methods. This position requires working with a computer (keyboard/mouse), telephone, and/or calculator; or, other repetitive use of hands.
* Technical System Expertise: Deep understanding of IP system protocols/parameters, configurations, and how to alter them for desired results. Aware of current technology benefits. Expected to lead teams and deliver complex network and service architecture, design strategies and standards. Subject matter expert in the building blocks, interactions, dependencies, and tools required to complete design work. Independent study of current technology is expected. Good understanding of adjacent processes and workflows. Ability to perform cost/benefit analysis of technology solutions and drive full business case analysis.
* Technical Engineering Services: Drives engineering projects and team members by active contribution to the application of engineering techniques; conducting tests and inspections; preparing reports and calculations. Expected to supervise base through senior level engineers as needed. Will be expected to present project improvement scenarios to management for consideration. Creates procedures and processes to validate and enhance and optimize network architecture. Able to diagnose and redesign based on changing business requirements and objectives. Able to lead others through various scenarios and explain the variance and impact. Able to prepare executive summaries of activities and clearly communicate areas of opportunity.
* Innovation: Develops, designs, and implements new ideas which improve an existing and new system/process/service. Investigative independent study and problem solving for non-routine tasks. Analyzes existing architecture, design strategies, standards, processes and vendor roadmaps to highlight upcoming technology changes that would make the processes or tools more effective within a given VP function. Drives to improve designs, processes, or product by reducing cost, improving efficiency, or quality. Initiates and facilitates brainstorming sessions and product and process improvement dialogues. Initiates and drives cross functional technical investigations to solve business problems and create new business opportunities.
* Technical Writing: Writes advanced documentation, architecture, capabilities, limitations, and advantages for technologies. Creates and modifies clear documentation on existing and new systems and services. Able to design and communicate architecture, design strategies, standards, technical system specifications and business requirements. Able to present complex ideas to non-technical audience. Creates and presents executive presentations that may translate technical issues into business impact. Participate in industry professional forums.
* Technical Leadership: Monitor and influence relevant industry technologies and standards. Present highly technical concepts to both technical and non-technical decision-makers. Continuously learns, creates content, and teaches others specific subject areas. Informally coaches and contributes to the development of others through mentoring or in-house workshops and learning sessions. Coach and develop engineers across functional teams on technology decisions. Influence technology and policy decisions made across the VP organization related to architecture, design strategies and standards. Understand financial decisions, including NPV and ROI, based on customer experience/business drivers. Owns and drives PoC and technology roadmaps. Influence technology and policy decisions made across VP organization.
* Technology Strategy: Evaluates new and existing technology options that support business goals. Proposes technology position for the company across the VP organization.
About T-Mobile US
T-Mobile is a global mobile telephone operator.