How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you're an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
* America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
* Career & Development Opportunities
* Entry, Mid, Senior
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
A highly motivated System Administrator is needed on the Raytheon's EED-2 (EOSDIS Evolution and Development) team that supports NASA in its mission to provide scientists and other users access to data from NASA's Earth science missions. As a member of the EED-2 team, systems administrators work on innovative tools allowing scientists and students alike to discover, transform, update and improve the quality of earth science data in the pursuit of solving a wide range of environmental and socio-economic issues. Specifically, this opening is for a Linux System Administrator (SA) on EED-2's Earthdata team.
Systems Administrators are responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of system COTS, application software and related infrastructure. This individual will ensure that system COTS, operating systems, software systems, application software and related procedures adhere to EED and NASA standards and policies.
Systems Administrators participate in all phases of system development and deployment. These activities include technical analysis and design as well as support of development and operations staff in testing and deploying the system to operational environment. Participation also involves the transition of software from development to production by performing deployment activities within the project life-cycle.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
* Install new / rebuild existing physical and virtual servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
* Develop and maintain installation, configuration and security procedures.
* Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, monitor Nagios and update monitors as needed.
* Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up. Verify completion of scheduled backup jobs to local storage and replication to remote storage.
* Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted end user communities.
* Apply OS/application patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
* Perform ongoing performance, system and application tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
* Monitor virtual computing environment, servers, virtual machines, data stores, networks. Perform application and firmware updates as required.
The position requires a favorable adjudication of National Agency Check with Inquires (NACI).
* Must have a minimum of 4+ years of experience as a Linux system administrator (Red Hat or CentOS Linux 6 or 7)
* Must have experience automating tasks using scripting languages (e.g., shell, Perl, Python)
* Must have knowledge of core system and security applications and protocols such as basic TCP/IP, DNS, NTP, NIS/NFS, LDAP.
* Must have knowledge of Web service platforms such as Apache, iPlanet, Tomcat, Ruby on Rails
* Must have knowledge of storage volume management, storage area networks, and filesystems.
* Must have experience with network backup software. EMC Networker is preferred.
* Must have proven understanding of high availability, data/system replication, and disaster recovery methodologies in the system and database spaces.
* Must have knowledge of VMWare virtualization.
* Must have fundamental understanding and working skills in analyzing and correcting application and network anomalies.
* Candidate must possess an active public trust clearance or the ability to pass a National Agency Clearance with Inquiries (NACI) screening.
* Certification in Red Hat Enterprise (RHCE), Oracle Enterprise Linux (Linux Administrator OCA), or Linux Foundation Linux Certification (LFCE). RHCE is preferred.
* Experience with Postgres and/or MySQL
* Network administration experience
* Experience with establishing and supporting operational systems using AWS Management Console and Services
* Experience with automation frameworks such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt
* Experience supporting software development teams, tools, and processes
* Experience with Agile development methodologies and the Atlassian tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo)
Required Education & Experience:
* Must have a BS degree in a technical major, such as engineering, math or computer science, and 6 years direct experience. May substitute an additional 8 years of experience for education.
This position requires a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.1 billion in 2017 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Computer/Management Information Systems
Type Of Job
MD - Riverdale
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.