AstraZeneca is a global, creative, biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have an extraordinary workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
We are looking for a savvy Data Engineer to join our team of analytics experts in either Wilmington, DEor Gaithersburg, MD. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. You will be an expert data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. You will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. You will need to be self-sufficient and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. If you get excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing the company's data architecture to support the next generation of products and data initiatives; this opportunity is the right fit for you.
* Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
* Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
* Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
* Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS 'big data' technologies.
* Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
* Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
* Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and AWS regions.
* Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
* Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
* 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role
* Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
* Experience building and optimizing 'big data' data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
* Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
* Strong project management and organizational skills.
* Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
* Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
* Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
* Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
* Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
* Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
* Developing on an AWS platform (S3, Aurora, Redshift, Kinesis, Elastic Beanstalk, Docker)
* Masters degree
* Developing with MySQL or PostgreSQL
* SAP data model experience (esp. FICO, SD)
* Data modelling (particularly in ERWIN)
* Database design
* Agile development (SAFe, SCRUM)
* Experience with 3/5NF and Star Schemas
* Demonstrated leadership skills interacting with senior leaders
* Should have demonstrable skills in handling projects of mid-large size
* Should have worked in a team environment and possess good written and oral communication skills
* Good organizational and interpersonal skills
* Aptitude and motivation learn new technologies and make appropriate recommendations for consideration
* Ability to prioritize tasks and work in a dynamic environment support with minimal supervision in very large user community that is geographically dispersed
* Demonstrated skills in communicating directly with user community
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a phenomenal fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca is a global science-led biopharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, development, manufacturing, and marketing of prescription medicines.