What is the Homes Platform team at Airbnb?
Homes Platform is the organization in Homes that powers all guest and host experiences on our site. Its vision is to help onboard, manage, and merchandise all homes inventory: marketplace, Plus or luxury listings, including non-traditional inventory like hotels and others.
Homes Platform has a foundation track as well as an inclusion track. In the foundation track, teams work on building reusable UI components and APIs, as well as data models and infrastructure, for other teams in the Homes business. The inclusion teams build shareable products and learnings for the rest of the business, with the aim of driving inclusion on Airbnb. All teams in Homes Platform also lead key engineering initiatives in the company such as Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA), data quality, performance, and testing.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs on Homes Platform.
What inclusion teams are on Homes Platform?
The inclusion teams on Homes Platform focus on building a platform to ensure that Airbnb is for everyone. These are unique and industry-leading teams that pave the way in previously-unsolved problem areas, and use technology and good user experiences to drive inclusion on Airbnb.
The Cities team focuses on creating support for home-sharing and our community of hosts in the larger ecosystem, with external stakeholders like neighbors, cities, government, and civil rights groups. We are developing a policy product platform that allows us to offer cities product solutions based on our policy objectives. Instead of building custom tools for each city, we build a scalable platform which we use to create city-specific solutions in a matter of days. This is one of the biggest challenges that Airbnb faces and the team is focused on building a scalable solution to solve this.
The Anti-Discrimination team focuses on building both the platform and the learnings that allow teams across the company to measure and reduce racial discrimination on Airbnb. We do this in partnership with civil rights organizations who help us deepen our understanding of systemic bias and the perception of discrimination.
The In-Home Accessibility team focuses on building tools and products to ensure that hosts are able to accurately represent accessibility features of their homes, so that guests with physical disabilities are able to find and book homes that fit their needs. We also work to find and grow our supply of homes that have accessibility features, and do all this in partnership with governments and civil rights organizations around the world.
What is the role of a backend engineer in Homes Platform?
As a backend engineer on a product-facing team, you would work with frontend web and mobile engineers to design and build APIs and services (both existing and new) to power guest- and host-facing features. You would also work with cross-functional partners in product, design, and data science to drive various growth initiatives for guests and hosts. Here are some projects we've worked on in the past, or are currently working on:
* Cities: Dynamic systems that allow us to launch hundreds of registration flows based purely on configuration. These flows are for hosts to register their listing with the city.
* Anti-Discrimination: Creating backend services and data pipelines, including machine learning models, to identify and analyze patterns of bias.
* In-Home Accessibility: Collecting photos from hosts to increase the accuracy of accessibility filters, and improving the search experience of accessible homes for guests.
This is an opportunity for you to directly contribute to the transformation of our technology stack, thereby scaling our business for many years!
* 5+ years of industry experience building large-scale backend systems
* Bachelor's and/or Master's degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
* Working experience in one or more object oriented programming languages (e.g. Java, Go, Python, Ruby, C++)
* Ability to write production-quality code
* Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross-functional partners in product and design to build a world class online and offline product
* Competitive salaries
* Quarterly employee travel coupon
* Paid time off
* Medical, dental, & vision insurance
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Fitness discounts
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Apple equipment
* Commuter subsidies
* Volunteer time off (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
* Company-sponsored tech talks and happy hours
* Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
* And much more!
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Please contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Airbnb is a company that provides an online marketplace and hospitality services.