Raytheon is seeking a highly motivated Software Engineer that works with minimal supervision/guidance to support the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) program using Java, Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) architecture, and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) / Enterprise Bus (ESB) software technologies.
The candidate must have experience and knowledge with software engineering using object oriented methodologies. The candidate will work as a software developer and integrator as part of a development team, which utilizes a diverse dynamic workforce, including many experts in their fields throughout the design, development and maintenance life cycle.
Responsibilities include the following:
* Participate in the full development life cycle for software development programs including design of software components, developing code, updating technical documents, generating test plans, ensuring code meets requirements through unit testing, and resolving discrepancy reports.
* Develop technical designs and specifications for software products.
* Research and integrate design strategies, product specifications, development schedules, and user expectations into product capabilities.
* Use software development technologies and tools to build, test, and maintain product modules, components, and subsystems.
* Provide technical leadership to lower-level developers.
* Provide product demonstrations and participate in trade shows and seminars.
* Interact with customers, vendors and external development partners.
* Understand a variety of the field concepts, practices, and procedures.
* Perform a variety of complicated tasks and use a wide degree of creativity and latitude to accomplish work.
* Work with the technical lead, other developers, System Engineering and Test Engineering to participate in peer reviews and to ensure successful integration with other software components. Work with minimal supervision/guidance.
* Provide tradeoffs between reuse options, Operations & Management (O&M) implications, and cost/schedule/performance issues. Support subsystem risk/opportunity identification. Provide weekly status (technical and schedule) for tasks.
* Six or more years directly related to software development engineering in Java. A thorough understanding of Java gained through formal training can substitute for this experience
* Six or more years of experience in software development using Object Oriented Methodologies.
* US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Public Trust - candidate must be able to pass a National Agency Check (NAC).
* Six or more years of experience using Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and/or Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) web services architecture. A thorough understanding of ESB or J2EE gained through formal training can substitute for this experience.
* Experience with scripting is a plus (Perl & Python as well as others)
* Experience and/or knowledge with Web Service design and development
* Experience and/or knowledge with Service Oriented Architecture
* Experience developing and/or supporting solutions for weather and meteorological science.
* One or more years of experience in a supervisor role. Experience as a mentor. Experience as an Integrated Product Team (IPT) lead.
* Experience in Extensible Markup Language (XML), Unified Modeling Language (UML), Eclipse IDE, database, and/or Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) a plus.
* Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or OpenGL technologies a plus.
Required Education (including Major):
* Bachelor of Science, BS in a Math, Science or Engineering related field
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. 126334BR 126334 Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from the cyber domain to automated operations, and from intelligent transportation solutions to creating clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, Virginia. The business area generated $6.1 billion in 2017 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
None / Not Required
Type Of Job
MD - Silver Spring
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.