The Windows Server Engineer will be responsible for implementing, maintaining, and supporting Windows Servers within a VMware environment. The candidate may lead IT projects or project tasks in accordance with departmental goals and objectives. The Windows Server Engineer will apply industry accepted best practices related to all systems.
* Implement, maintain and support Windows servers within VMware environment to ensure stable and healthy systems (includes vulnerability and patch management);
* Execute daily, weekly and monthly administrative tasks including 24x7 on-call support rotation, monitoring and responding to server events, ensuring data integrity, gathering server statistics and performing general maintenance tasks as defined by the IT department;
* Maintain documentation, designs, and configuration of system architectures for all assigned and supported systems;
* Recommend hardware, software, and configuration improvements for supported systems;
* Lead infrastructure related projects for system upgrades, migrations, and new implementations;
* Research and address issues while following established procedures with a minimum amount of supervision while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction;
* Identify and improve standards, guidelines, policies and procedures within the infrastructure;
* Install and upgrade server software while ensuring that clients have accessibility to the information that is required to conduct business;
* Manage a number of infrastructure related projects, upgrades, system enhancements and deployments;
* Demonstrate strong understanding of the core windows operating system internals, services, and skills to troubleshoot complex systems, networking, and security problems within the platform ecosystem;
* Review and recommend major and significant changes for purposes of incident avoidance;
* Design and test disaster recovery scenarios;
* Monitor and maintain our current backup systems and infrastructure;
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
Experience & Background
* Bachelor's Degree in a computer related discipline with 5 years of experience in a MS Windows Server environment or equivalent work experience.
* Experience working with VMWare 6.
* Strong working knowledge with one or more scripting languages - PowerShell, Windows Command script, Visual Basic Script.
* Familiarity with data security standards, have an analytical mind to be able to solve complex issues.
* Experience in an enterprise data center.
* Experience working with IT vendors and other support organizations.
* Working knowledge of EMC storage solutions (VNX, Unity)
* Knowledge of networking concepts (advanced networking/switching/routing) preferred.
* Knowledge of SSO technologies and SAML integrations preferred.
* MCP, MCSE and MCITP certifications are preferred.
Skills & Competencies
* Possess a broad understanding of technology (hardware and software) and its application in a medical school environment;
* Have excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
* Effective system support activities as measured by application and server up time, and client satisfaction.
* Ability to complete assigned tasks on time;
* Ability to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction;
* Ability to research and address issues while following established procedures with a minimum amount of supervision;
* Effectiveness in identifying and improving standards, guidelines, policies and procedures within the infrastructure;
* Effective management of workload and assigned projects;
* Effective documentation of process and procedures;
* Ability to lift 50 pounds, with bending and mobility to move large objects.