Department: Global Marketing
Job Title: Temporary Senior Web Application Developer
Pay Rate: Based on experience
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Approx. 6 months from start
Northwestern University Global Marketing and Communications is looking for a talented, inquisitive Senior Web Application Developer to be a part of our collaborative group of website development professionals, working together to achieve our department's goals. The ideal candidate will have strong technical, analytical, communication and customer service skills.
The Senior Web Developer will work on updates to university-wide web applications, such as events and maps, using PHP 7.x and will assist with enhancements to Wordpress templates. All development efforts will adhere to web accessibility and usability standards. The successful candidate will be team-oriented and able to effectively work together with other web developers and content managers to determine requirements, develop templates and applications, and provide technical support.
* An undergraduate degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable skills and abilities can be acquired;
* Intermediate experience in the following:
o Operating Systems: Mac OS X and Linux
o Databases: PostgreSQL/MySQL
* Highly skilled, detail-oriented developer well-versed in Object Oriented Programming and best practices with the ability to re-architect, code, test, and debug existing applications and learn new technologies;
* Knowledge of security, usability, and accessibility issues;
* Ability to manage complex tasks independently and assist in estimating time for development work;
* Experience documenting application specifications and source code;
* Ability to critically think and understand projects from business, customer and technical perspectives.
* Ability to communicate effectively one-to-one and with groups, and to write precise, well-organized emails, specifications and proposals;
* A helpful, approachable, team-oriented demeanor and the ability to build strong working relationships and a positive, collaborative work environment.
* Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS);
* Wordpress theme modification and troubleshooting experience.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.