Are you an abstract thinker that is energized by understanding how an Enterprise operates in order to build blueprints to optimize their system of systems, especially when that Enterprise is a nationally important, strategic defense program?
Do you love working with a diverse group of dedicated technical specialists in a collaborative teaming environment that includes many different Government organizations, FFRDCs/UARCs, and large prime contractors?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a systems engineer with experience in Enterprise Architecture for the Weapon Systems Engineering Group in the Force Projection Sector. We provide vital systems engineering, architecture, and development expertise to nationally important strategic deterrence capabilities for the Navy and Air Force. As a member of our team, you will work closely with Government Program leadership providing expertise in developing architecture models, frameworks, and processes for several critical strategic weapons systems development programs. We are passionate about making critical contributions to these critically important programs, and you will be a key part of our success. With your help, we will remain at the forefront of weapon systems engineering for the Force Projection Sector.
As a Weapon System Enterprise Architect...
* Your primary responsibility will be to provide architectural expertise and thought leadership to the development and evaluation of complex strategic deterrent systems and supporting infrastructure.
* You will work with an advanced team to formulate and organize architectural models of the entire Enterprise (people, process, and technology) to support development and integration of new strategic deterrent systems as well as modernization and sustainment of existing systems.
* You will apply your enterprise architecture expertise on operational analysis, concept/technology development, architecture creation and analysis, and risk assessments for strategic deterrent systems.
* You will deliver formal presentations to sponsors and supporting contractors, and effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and architecture results.
* You will provide input to and oversight of architectural artifacts within an MBSE environment that will include architectural models, frameworks, and profiles. MBSE tools are used to capture and analyze models of the systems being developed throughout their lifecycle from concept definition through fielding and support.
* You will help program leadership understand Enterprise implications of design changes at the system and sub-system levels.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Have a Master's degree in engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field - preferably Operations Research.
* Have 10 years of experience performing systems engineering in the design, development or evaluation of complex Enterprise Architectures.
* Have broad systems engineering experience including early concept development, requirements analysis, design, test and evaluation, and risk assessment.
* Have especially strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong abstract thinking skills.
* Have shown the ability to interact effectively with and lead diverse, multidisciplinary teams, including industry and government sponsors.
* Are willing and able to travel periodically, including travel to Hill AFB (outside Salt Lake City, UT), other Air Force bases, and visits to sponsor offices.
* Hold an active Secret security clearance and are able to get a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Have an advanced degree or certifications in Enterprise Architecture.
* Have experience in architecting missile systems.
* Have worked with modeling frameworks such as the 10 Layer Model, the Department of Defense Architecture Framework or Unified Architecture Framework.
* Have direct experience applying aspects of MBSE in support of Enterprise Architecture.
* Have experience with DoD acquisition processes, Navy Strategic Systems programs, and/or Air Force ICBM programs.
* Have knowledge of the Air Force ICBM System and/or Navy Trident II Strategic Weapon System.
* Hold an active Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.