Job ID 1149146 Date posted Jun. 21, 2018
UX Product Designer - Pivotal Labs
Pivotal's Story VIDEO
Founded in 2013, Pivotal Software, Inc., combines our leading cloud-native platform, tools, and methodology to empower the world's largest organizations to adapt to change and build great software. Our technology unleashes developer productivity while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
At Pivotal, we are opinionated about the cultural qualities that contribute to better digital products. Our engineers and designers practice pair programming and pair design because we know it's how to grow our skills and deliver remarkable results. We work in small teams and rotate between them frequently so that we are able to meet new challenges and explore new ideas.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. We subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project and are guided by a purposeful mission: to transform how the world builds software.
You enjoy daily product decision making and real product delivery with product managers, developers and data scientists. You help ensure project success and client satisfaction. You enjoy seriously collaborative teams, pairing with team members and inviting your clients to participate. You like to work alongside and learn from lean and agile leaders. You are a creative problem solver who is comfortable with uncertainty and can lead the design effort to make better product decisions. You are curious and a keen learner who thrives on enhancing your and Labs' practices and knowledge.
Pivotal Labs is Pivotal's consulting team, and a recognized leader in modern software development practices. We work with many of the world's most influential companies, helping them not only build great software, but fundamentally create a culture of innovation. We also developed Pivotal Tracker, the project management and collaboration tool used by thousands of agile teams worldwide. Our approach is informed by over 20 years of experience and continuous improvement, and blends agile/XP, lean startup and user-centered design.
Product designers at Pivotal Labs ensure we solve the right problems and understand user needs to deliver new or improved products and services that have real impact. We espouse a lean/iterative mentality, and try not to treat design artifacts as precious - the only deliverable we are concerned with is the software.
You are a "full stack" designer in the sense that you are willing to help out on any of the dimensions of design - research, testing, UX, visual, css, etc. It's ok if you're not an expert in every specialty! We don't expect you to know everything - we just want you to be curious enough to want to learn.
As consultants, the goal is to ship products that create real value while enabling the client team to develop skills necessary to take the product home after an engagement with our team - you will be teaching traditional waterfall designers how to fish.
You are working with a cross-disciplinary product team and pair with everyone - developers, product managers, other designers, and your clients. You show clients the value of agile design, and the importance of user testing in making smart product choices.
In the spirit of agile design, you have the opportunity to experiment with process. - do what works, try new things, and stop doing things that don't work.
* 5+ years experience in related field. Degree or equivalent experience preferred
* Have experience designing applications, from consumer-facing to internal tools.
* Lead product design from research through implementation - you want to help the team succeed more than making a nice sketch file.
* Maintain a user-centered approach while respecting business needs.
* Be willing to work in an agile design environment, rather than a waterfall one.
* Bring deep experience in at least one facet of the 3 facets of design: user research, interaction design or visual design
* Have experience and curiosity within agile and lean philosophies
* Have experience working independently with clients or stakeholders in a consulting role
* Some familiarity with css - you don't have to be an expert.
* Ability to travel at a minimum of 30% to client locations.
* Have experience enabling clients in user-centered design best practices
* Experienced in user research methodologies and can educate others
* Interest in giving talks on design to clients and internal pivots.
* Able to help the development team with css.
* Active member of the design community
To help share a bit more about life at Pivotal here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Pivotal. Hopefully, you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
* This is Pivotal
* Diversity and Inclusion in Everyday Work
* Design Pairing at Pivotal
* 5 Culture Hacks
Please Note: Much of Pivotal's work in the Washington DC office is with Federal Government customers that require our employees involved with their projects by U.S. citizens. As such, this role requires U.S. citizenship. If hired, you would also be required to go through a background investigation for Public Trust Clearance.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider you for this role regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Apply now Apply now