PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR VACANCIES DURING THEIR PROBATIONARY PERIOD.
All education that is indicated on your application must be supported by attaching a scanned copy of your high school diploma, high school transcript or college transcript.
* High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
* Two (2) years' experience with Microsoft Windows operating system.
* Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
* One (1) year familiarity with database, communications, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
* Two (2) years of experience working in computer network environment of 20 or more interconnected computers and related hardware.
* Capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
* Associate Degree in a technology related field (such as computer science or office technology).
* CompTIA A+ certification and/or Network+ Certification.
* Familiarity with Windows hardware and operating systems.
* Experience in a K-12 environment.
* Knowledge of current FCPS processes and procedures.
* Additional experience providing hardware and software support.
* Microsoft Certification (such as MOS, MCDST, MCSA).
* Microsoft Windows XP and higher certification.
* Familiarity with the FCPS policies, goals, and programs.
The primary function of this position is to assist schools in using computer-based technologies to support instruction and assessment. The position will also be responsible for scheduling available resources, and managing basic aspects of the school based network. Reporting directly to the School Administrator, the User Support Specialist performs the following duties:
Supports Technologies for Instruction and Assessment.
* Primary contact within the building for computer related systems.
* Maintains labs and peripherals (printers, scanners, interactive whiteboards, student response systems, smart pens, etc.); orders supplies for computers, printers, and other peripheral devices from the annex or appropriate vendor.
* Serves as a resource regarding software on the network and maintains the management components of software chosen for use.
* Schedules and keeps a log of teacher and student use of computer labs (and other shared technology equipment) to support school and county improvement goals. Provides prioritized lists of computer and peripheral issues to be addressed by the assigned technology support specialist.
* Provides students and staff with software, hardware, and peripheral orientations as needed or refer them to the appropriate system resources.
* Provides on-going first tier technical support on instructional desktop and laptop computers and peripherals.
* Sets up new instructional computers and peripherals.
* Images new computers as well as existing PCs as needed.
* Periodically performs hardware and software upgrades as needed.
* Provides teachers with support materials to facilitate their effective use of new hardware, software, and peripherals (such as scanners, CD's, cameras).
* Assists staff with FCPS resources such as e-mail, Employee Self-Service, etc.
Supports the school computer networks.
* Provides technical assistance on accessing the computer network and available resources.
* Resets passwords as needed for students and staff.
Supports staff development training.
* Supports in-service activities for teachers to learn to use software, computer management systems, and security processes.
* Works with staff to develop the necessary skills to actively participate in various forms of communication such as e-mail, the Internet, etc.
* Attends FCPS workshops and meetings as needed to update skills for supporting instructional equipment and application of new technologies and improving technical skills.
* Provides preventive maintenance and coordinates computer repairs with the Department of Technology Services or appropriate vendors for warranted items and maintains a record of service rendered.
* Manages the PC and peripheral inventory and maintains inventory information on all school technology equipment. Requests licensed software from Technology Services where appropriate for teachers to use outside the lab.
* Maintains resources and records to support teacher work-at-home rights for software.
* Collects and forwards data as required by Technology Services and the Maryland State Department of Education.
* Provides information to staff, students and parents as appropriate regarding relevant FCPS technology related regulations and processes.
* Willingness to stay current with developments in technology.
* Performs other duties as assigned by the School Administrator.
* Support Salary Scale, Grade 8, 10-month position (188 days-7 hours / day)
* Starting Salary: $19.17 / hour
FREDERICK COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER