Department: NUL IT Infrastructure
Responds to users to resolve problems associated with the organizational area's applications and services. Diagnoses problem source through analysis, testing and discussions with users. Coordinates with programmers, developers, analysts, and project managers to resolve problems. Follows up with users to ensure problem resolution and develops supporting documentation of all activities.
Do you flourish in a technically challenging environment with opportunities to grow your skills? Are you comfortable with learning, implementing and supporting technology? As a User Support Specialist, you will be responsible for solving client-computing problems while assisting to implement new technologies. We are responsible for a wide array of technologies at the University Libraries. You will ensure workstations are configured to meet our needs while gaining exposure to industry leading tools and applications. Do you thrive assisting people resolve their technical challenges? You will balance resolution of support tickets with large-scale team projects and rollouts. You will respond to incoming Technical Support requests and provide troubleshooting/triage assistance to users. Excellent customer service, communication, focus on details, and troubleshooting skills are important to being successful in this position. As a member of our team, you will grow expertly building your technical skills. We look forward to your contributions to our group.
* Recommend changes to applications to address frequent support issues encountered while assisting users.
* Meets with users to gain knowledge of issues and business requirements in order to resolve issues.
* Builds basic project plans for assigned work showing tasks, sequence of work and people resources.
* Recommends application changes to address frequent support issues encountered by users
* Develops documentation for support activities and problem resolutions concentrating on public technologies and services.
* Communicates with Library staff concerning changes to public and staff computers to better educate and support technology.
* Partners with colleagues to review and resolve problems and issues associated with organizational area's applications and services.
* Delivers solutions to technology problems, questions and inquiries encountered by clients according to established practices.
* Provides daily triage for the Self-server studio and Light-board ensuring space and technology are functioning.
* Recommends and implements corrective solutions after performing onsite analysis and diagnosis for complex desktop problems
* Offers printer support for printing including deploying of printers, updates, print drivers and coordinating repair work with vendors.
* Builds, maintains, configures, tests and deploys images for end-user workstations, and related hardware and software.
* Maintains and handles shared laptops by updating software, patching and imaging new devices.
* Supports desktop computing environments running Windows and OS X including installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading workstations, to ensure optimal workstation performance
* Coordinates with internal and external technical support personal to resolve internal reported issues.
* Follows up to ensure problem resolution and develops supporting documentation of all activities.
* Provides training to both individuals and groups on the use of technology and applications deployed across the libraries.
* Responsible for providing support for Library active learning classrooms and group study spaces as well as Maker-space.
* Supports and maintains 3D printers and scanners and provides support for 3D modeling software.
* Handles and implements new technologies throughout the library; maintains Creston equipment and wireless displays.
* Diagnose technical issues through your analysis, testing and discussions with users and peers.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Successful completion of a full 2-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to an associate's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
* Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Box Collaborative Storage, Mac OS X Operating System, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), Microsoft SharePoint, Windows Operating System, 3D printing, 3D scanning; Crestron, 3D modeling and CAD programs
* Critical thinking, decision making, problem solving, Troubleshooting
* Agile environment, collaboration and teamwork, functional documentation, organizational skills, planning, workflow development & documentation
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
* Communication: You will need good communication skills with a welcoming attitude, balancing listening and talking for this work. Writes precise, well-organized emails and proposals as well as provide clear and manageable instructions.
* Organization: Ability to Plan, organize and schedule your work in an efficient, productive manner. Demonstrates an aptitude to work on multiple projects at the same time.
* Efficiency: Handle your time well by planning work ahead while paying attention to details and anticipating contingencies. Targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time or resources.
* Collegiality: Have a positive/upbeat attitude/personality to help fellow team members succeed while building strong working relationships in a positive work environment.
* Problem Solving/Analysis: Ability to break down problems to discover the underlying issue and document the resolutions. Can simplify and process complex issues and understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
* Ability to Learn: A strong goal to develop and grow in knowledge and experience while learning new programs and technologies.
* 1-2 years' experience in technical support, or user service, in an information technology environment or other relevant experience required.
* Experience as both an end-user and administrator in service areas such as user support, desktop support, help desk management, and documentation or other relevant experience required.
* Basic knowledge and experience supporting computer desktop Operating Systems such as Windows (Windows Vista/Win7/Win2010).
* Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree
* Experience with 3D printing and scanning and modeling software
* Experience with Crestron Technologies
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.