Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Scientific Computing team within the Hutch Data Commonwealth (HDC) is looking for an engineering manager who can be a generalist in managing people and high-performance computing infrastructure projects. Come join us and use your experience in customer service, systems engineering and management to help our mission to cure cancer. Half of this this ten-person team will report to you and is comprised of talented generalists, developers, cloud engineers and computer scientists that pride themselves on working collaboratively with limited ego. Over the last few years, the team has built and deployed the first seamless cloud bursting high performance computing (HPC) environment and the first open source object storage solution in life sciences. The team is currently working on creating the lowest cost high performance file system with enterprise support in the country. This position is a unique opportunity to support a diverse range of customers, from beginners to AI experts, working both on-premise and in multiple clouds (AWS, GCP, Azure).
The Hutch Data Commonwealth (HDC) is a division with a vision to enable investigators to leverage all possible data in the effort to eliminate disease, by driving the development of data infrastructure and data science capabilities through strategic partnering and robust engineering, thereby establishing Fred Hutch as a recognized center of excellence in biomedical data science. Your work will assist hundreds of investigators and their research staff to meet our goal of curing cancer by 2025.
You should be here. Come join us now!
The Manager of HPC Engineering directs and oversees the HPC engineering functions in design, development, installation, and maintenance of hardware and software for the Center for High-Performance Computing (HPC) systems. HPC systems are configured based on stakeholder needs and the strategic vision of Fred Hutch. Responsibilities include:
* Ensure resource availability and allocation to meet operational and project commitments
* Manage infrastructure projects and balance operational and project commitments
* Define project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
* Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques
* Drive innovation and continuous improvement of the infrastructure to reduce the team's operational burden
* Ensure that customer support and consultative experience is commensurate with the high caliber and data-intensive science undertaken at Fred Hutch
* Manage the day-to-day operations of the team, ensuring that engineers have what they need to run a world-class HPC and Storage environment
* Drive documentation efforts to improve the experience of computational researchers of Fred Hutch and partners in our wiki (https://sciwiki.fredhutch.org/)
* Partner with other Fred Hutch IT teams and build strong relationships to ensure the success of Scientific Computing initiatives
* Other duties as assigned, given the dynamic nature within the Hutch Data Commonwealth
* 1+ years in a team lead or manager position
* Demonstrated project management skills
* Data mining and analytical skills as well as proven process management skills
* Strong understanding of support: tickets, monitoring, and metrics
* 1+ years system engineering experience managing Linux systems or storage infrastructure
* Previous experience in a research or educational setting is a plus
* Familiarity with GitHub and GitOps/DevOps principles is a plus
Additional reasons to work here
* A better work live balance than you find in many other places in Seattle (believe us!)
* 403(b) Retirement savings plan with 7% matching
* On-site day care through Hutch Kids, based on availability
* Competitive salary, depending on experience.
* 12 days annual leave + 1 day after every year
* Twelve paid holidays annually
* Excellent medical, dental and vision plans
* Subsidized health insurance for family members and domestic partners
* On-site employee health clinic including PT
Our Commitment to DiversityWe are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.