Purpose Of Role:
* The role holder is responsible for the deployment and support of IT infrastructure, systems and application software, Database management, network services and data security to both internal and external customers.
* He/she provides complex technical support, resolving escalated technical support issues including proposals to ensure systems availability to the customer.
* The role includes problem diagnosis and resolution, and activities will comprise requirements analysis, testing, integrating and managing components and models.
* The role holder has an appreciation of and/or participates in the design of systems architecture and network systems, and may be responsible for generating new opportunities and maintaining the client relationship and satisfaction.
* Under supervision to evaluate, co-ordinate, test and install software/hardware provided by suppliers with appropriate controls and standards e.g. Firewalls/Data Security, DBMS, MVS software, Network software and hardware.
* Under supervision to test & install software maintenance upgrades provided by suppliers.
* To provide problem diagnosis and resolution liaising with technical manager, peers, suppliers and customer/developer groups where appropriate; could be asked to provide full 24-hour on call emergency support.
* To ensure operational procedures are in place, maintained and followed as approved by technical team leader.
* To support recovery activities following failure including disaster recovery.
* To provide limited advice & guidance to other groups on technical and operational issues.
* To provide resource and expertise to support product evaluations with other groups/customers.
* To ensure all appropriate documentation is provided and maintained to the ISO9001 standard.
* Systems/Application level authority and access - would refer to management where appropriate.
* May be involved in helping restore critical BT business functionality.
* New graduate entry.
* A suitable formal training path to certification standard, where appropriate, will need to be completed e.g. CCNP, MCSE, Sun Solaris, Oracle certified DBA, HP certified systems engineer etc.
* Developed skills in basic theories, practices and procedures in one skill area through formal training, and able to apply basic knowledge/skills to own work area.
* Able to respond to standard manager requests and understand the relationships between work processes and the business, although horizons will probably be limited to own team.
* Can use existing, clearly defined procedures to solve routine problems and organise own time to deliver against tasks set by others within a short-term horizon.
* Can ask questions and check for understanding.
* Can provide explanations clearly and precisely.
* Can work co-operatively with others to achieve team goals, and can build stable and useful working relationships.
* Awareness of costs related to own work area.