Support Account Manager - Mission Critical Support
VMware (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in cloud infrastructure, delivers customer-proven virtualization solutions that significantly reduce IT complexity. VMware accelerates an organization's transition to cloud computing, while preserving existing IT investments and enabling more efficient, agile service delivery without compromising control. Organizations rely on VMware, its partners and its industry-leading virtual infrastructure platform, VMware vSphere, to energize their business through IT, while saving energy-financial, human and the Earth's. With 2009 revenues of $2 billion, VMware has more than 190,000 customers and 25,000 partners worldwide. VMware's award-winning technology, market-leading position and culture of excellence provide our 8,200+ employees in 40+ locations worldwide with a platform for professional growth and the excitement of being an early-stage innovator.
The VMware Global Support Services (GSS) team supports over 10,000 companies running VMware servers in over 100 different countries. GSS provides time-zone optimized coverage throughout five support centers globally. The GSS team supports the entire suite of VMware products for global customers and partners and participates in developing new products and new versions of current products. GSS team members also participate in product delivery strategy, product documentation, discussion forums with customers, and expert documents publishing. A commitment to excellence and customer advocacy pervades the GSS team, and the work environment fosters intellectual stimulation through exchanges with internal and external customers. The VMware GSS team members are the "best of the best" supporting business-critical applications in a virtual infrastructure.
What's in it for you?
VMware brings together a phenomenal group of people. This includes a world-class development organization with unparalleled expertise in the system software space. The entire VMware team has created a unique business environment - one of energy, creativity, and collaboration. The atmosphere is fun, casual, and inviting, in keeping with VMware's roots as a successful entrepreneurial start up.
As a Support Account Manager you will utilize your strong technical competencies and account management skills to provide the highest level of Personalized, Proactive, Preventative and Reactive, Enterprise-Class support services. You will build a partner relationship with the customer to better serve their business needs, as well as to react quickly and revise approach when business needs change. Working very closely and collaboratively with members of the GSS Team, Account Teams and customer contacts, you will become intimately acquainted with the customers business requirements, technical needs, systems, environment and support history. As such, your technical abilities are critical in identifying solutions, directing support request to the proper teams, and assisting with technical questions as they arise.
* Environment assessment/documentation, including software and hardware release planning, upgrade planning and bug risk analysis
* Monitor customers support requests to identify potential problems and trends, and subsequently make the necessary recommendations to resolve them
* Ensure that all recommended Best Practices are adhered to for maximizing product optimization and uptime
* Notify customer of new product features and fixes field/product alert analysis and recommendations
* Help educate the customer as needed on the various tools available to them and help them understand their VMware products better
* Facilitate the on boarding process of new accounts by leading the engagement meetings
* Complete comprehensive site profile documents ensuring the customer's VMware infrastructure and architecture is documented
* Manage account document repository ensuring accuracy and completeness
* Proactively notify the customer on a weekly basis with product alerts, new KB articles and bug updates that relate to their environment
* Drive customer satisfaction of by expediting the resolution of all service issues by conducting log analysis, reproduction work and engaging external and internal resources as required
* Proactively escalate customer issues and work with Sales, CPD, PSE, PM to assign appropriate priority.
* Review customers change management process / documents for gaps against know best practices
* Assist the customer with support planning, upgrade and maintenance updates by providing input to implementation plan and alerting peer center of upcoming change
* Conduct weekly case reviews to identify issue trends and opportunities for corrective actions
* Work with greater VMware Account Management team to ensure overall customer satisfaction with Global Support Services
* Assist customer outside of normal business hours if required
* Recommended 5+ years of Technical Support Industry experience
At least 4+ years experience in customer-facing positions as an Engineer or Consultant
* Experience with modern software development methodologies, with emphasis on software and hardware architecture, and infrastructure design and development
* Strong technical background, with previous experience in Linux system administration and/or software development and technical architecture
* Strong analytical skills regarding technical and project management issues
* Strong understanding of strategic sales process
* Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage competing client demands
* Ability to interact and communicate with CxO-level personnel
* Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
* Ability to travel up to 30 percent of the time, including international
* B.S., B.A., or M.S. degree
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.