Staff Engineers provide the vision and expertise that underpin Betterment's architecture. In this front-end focused role, you'll sit side-by-side with our product teams to craft our consumer-facing applications. You'll partner with our design team to develop a forward-looking roadmap. Through mentorship, code review, and training, you'll collaborate closely with engineers at all levels to introduce new frontend capabilities. We aim for fluid, delightful user experiences and will need to leverage the entire stack to help realize these goals. We're not only tackling difficult questions of scale and architecture but also interaction, simplicity, and ease of use to deliver the best financial advice possible to our customers.
About the right team member:
You will be a part of a team that's taking on difficult questions of scale, architecture, and interaction. Part of being a member of this team is a love for building products you're proud to share with your friends and family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences.
You are passionate about building intuitive, delightful user experiences in a scalable, sustainable fashion. You possess an ability to introduce new patterns strategically, framing short-term projects with long-term vision. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with multi-functional teams that span the entire company. You love to learn and to share your vision and expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.
At Betterment you will get to:
* Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
* Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat
* Collaborate, with purpose. You'll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and resolve how to make Betterment's revolutionary software even better.
* Gain trust through openness. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers - you'll build the tools to make it possible
* Craft efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering
* Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We're a group of talented engineers who pride ourselves on what we do. We're creative, high-energy, and lots of fun.
You will answer questions like:
* What's the most effective way to marry rich client-side experiences with data-intensive APIs?
* What's the most maintainable way to support rapid experimentation within a constantly evolving user-experience without leaving a mess of if/else statements in our wake?
* How do we architect high-performance internal APIs that facilitate rapid development of lightweight experiences, tools, and visualizations?
You will be effective if you have:
* 4+ years experience working with client-side frameworks like React, Vue.js, Ember, etc.
* Experience building APIs and server-side functionality. We build our web apps and APIs in Ruby on Rails.
* Proven and recent experience mentoring and educating other developers on new techniques and standard methodologies
* Experience with design systems and component-driven development workflows
* Experience successfully introducing new patterns and frameworks
* A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
* A passion for software engineering and for creating what doesn't exist
* A knack for making the trade-offs required to ship without compromising quality
* An understanding that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
* An appreciation for agility and pragmatism in software development
Technologies you will use:
Engineering spends much of its time with the tools above, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. You'll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages and frameworks and will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs and other protocols.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $17 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers' long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 400,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We're an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment is an independent online financial advisor that serves individual investors, advisors, and businesses.