Genomic Health's Release Engineering team has made a significant investment in Environment Management automation. This role is a critical player in taking system automation to the next level and expanding our scope beyond environment management. A successful candidate will have a passion for automation. If you are someone that understands the intrinsic value of making things go away via a script, we want you on our team. Today we are focused on PowerShell scripts/modules but are looking to expand with Desired State Configuration (DSC) as it matures and heterogeneous platforms to improve our manageability.
The Senior System Automation Engineer will be directly responsible for automation and execution of release and environment management activities for a wide range of IT platforms. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, have a strong process-oriented mindset, and is able to collaborate with other technical peers in the organization.
The position will report to the Senior Manager, Release Engineering.
RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
* Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise. * Write PowerShell modules in an existing code base to automate the deployment and configuration of virtual machines and the deployment and configuration of applications. Applications range in nature from Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft BizTalk Server, 3rd party off the shelf applications, to custom web services written in-house * Use interpersonal and technical skill to:
o Determine methods and procedures on new projects and coordinate activities of other personnel.
o Develop and deliver complex workflows to automate the deployment of end-to-end environments for development, testing, and production use
o Develop and deliver a framework, scripts, and templates to automate common infrastructure provisioning tasks needed to support the project - such as account management, application installation, and configuration
* Find ways to improve IT process through the process, people, and technology (automation) * Collaborate with other senior automation engineers to improve our current platform, and leverage emerging commercial platforms * Act as a liaison between Software Engineering, Quality Engineering, Operations, and other IT teams to assist with problem resolution * Develop and execute deployment processes from development environments through the production of various platforms:
o Other custom and COTS-based solutions
* Develop and execute sandbox provisioning processes for SFDC, on-premise, and other platforms. * Develop and execute processes to provision and manage 3rd party AppExchange packages. * Log and track identified deployment and environment management problems through resolution. * Document processes, procedures, and/or policies.
* General experience in a wide variety of technical areas including, but not limited to: application deployment, configuration management, workflow automation/orchestration, process automation * At least 3 years of DevOps / application deployment and configuration automation experience using PowerShell, Python, Desired State Configuration (DSC), Chef, Puppet, Jenkins, or similar tools in a Microsoft Windows operating environment * At least 8 years of general system administration experience * Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to maintain open communication with internal employees and managers * Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner * Ability to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality * Ability to work with very little supervision and take ownership of assigned projects * Strong communicator with an ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers, and customers as needed * Ability to work as part of a team * Ability to work with moderate supervision
* Team Foundation Server (TFS) * VMware and/or Hyper-V experience desired * Linux experience desired * Automated test tools (i.e. Selenium) experience desired * Salesforce administration experience desired
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS, AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
* Travel Requirements: No Travel * Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
This role is a critical player in taking system automation to the next level and expanding our scope beyond environment management.
Let your dream job find you.
Sign up to start matching with top companies. It’s fast and free.