Sr. Software Engineering Manager - Verathon®
Verathon has an exciting opportunity in our Imaging and Scanning Solutions (ISS) Product Development Team for a Sr. Software Engineering Manager. This position will be responsible for leading systems software and applications development in support of our latest medical devices and products. Role will be responsible for management of all software engineering activities including specification, architecture design, implementation, verification, and validation on new and existing medical devices.
The Sr. Software Engineering Manager must be a hands-on leader that can contribute technically in conjunction while leading the staff and coordinating new product development projects. Key decision-making abilities include performing design tradeoff analysis between mechanical, electrical, firmware and software product requirements. This position encompasses both research and prototyping of applications for potential new products as wells as medical product development using a formal quality system.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
* Manage and grow a software development team of 4 to 5 individuals that can effectively deliver on the application needs for medical imaging devices.
* Innovate and implement agile development processes for software as well as conduct and manage outside development resources (when required). Drive continuous improvement of processes to efficiently design, develop, verify, and sustain products to improve time to market.
* Empower, coach, and mentor software development engineers using situational leadership skills to grow their skills and performance.
* Provide technical project management and leadership for every aspect of software.
* Prepare lifecycle for different projects inclusive of research, development, design, evaluation, testing along with delivery to product management.
* Lead the SW architecture development that aligns to technical and product roadmaps for the Imaging Device business.
* Establish and stimulate software development standards and processes along with best practices for delivery of scalable and high-quality software.
* Develop relations with existing and prospective internal customers to interpret all individual requirements.
* Supervise resource allocation to assure attainment of apt business and personnel development goals while ensuring the highest quality in designs.
* Participate in planning exercises to accomplish technical as well as business needs as related to the Business units strategic plan.
* Collaborate effectively with all team members as well as hold regular team meetings.
* Evaluate projects, develop and update schedules plus supervise project status. Manage and execute software development projects from beginning to finish.
* Work closely with the Research and Hardware development teams, making architectural decisions and design tradeoffs (between mechanical, electrical, firmware, and system software considerations).
* Ensure planning and execution of projects across necessary organizational functions, e.g. marketing, other R&D functional groups, product validation/regulatory, system verification, manufacturing, operations, customer service/support.
* Perform annual written performance assessment of engineering personnel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* 12+ years of software development experience, with 6+ years of experience with bare metal and/or embedded RTOS systems.
* 4-year Bachelor of Computer Science, Bachelor of Software Engineer or equivalent advanced degree.
* Demonstrated experience of leading software projects.
* Experience with development on embedded platforms (for example MSP430, ARM Cortex A/M, x86/64, STM32).
* Proficient with various communication protocols (examples include UART, SPI, I2C, CAN, USB, or TCP/IP).
* Skilled at developing applications on a variety of levels including bare metal systems, RTOS and embedded OS (examples include ThreadX, QNX, and embedded Linux).
* Working knowledge of ISO 13485, ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 standards and applying this to medical device development.
* Proven mastery of software engineering best practices including: estimation, design, testing from the unit level to the system level, configuration management, change control and issue tracking
* Demonstrated management experience working in a product development environment, ideally focused on leading software engineers developing new products at all levels from entry to principal.
* Experience with version control systems: GIT, SubVersion, etc.
* Demonstrated success leading full life cycle development efforts (new product development to introduction of products in a manufacturing environment.
* Experience with project tracking software with the ability to drive in an Agile fashion, preferably with the Atlassian Tool Chain (Confluence, JIRA, etc.).
Verathon is a global medical device company focused on supporting customers by being their trusted partner, delivering high-quality products that endure over time and ensure clinical and economic utility. Two areas where Verathon has significantly impacted patient care, and become the market leader in each, are bladder volume measurement and airway management. The company's BladderScan portable ultrasound and GlideScope video laryngoscopy systems effectively address unmet needs for healthcare providers and meaningfully raise the standard of care for patients. Verathon, a subsidiary of Roper Technologies, is headquartered in Bothell, Washington, and has international subsidiaries in Canada, Europe and Asia. For more information, please visit www.verathon.com.
Verathon is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace. We believe that diverse ideas, opinions and perspectives will build a strong foundation for success. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Verathon will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Verathon does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law build a strong foundation for success.
Verathon offers competitive compensation and a complete benefits package to full-time employees including company sponsored health plan, 401k with match, wellness and tuition reimbursement and the advantages of an environment that supports your development and recognizes your achievements.