Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC ("BFW"), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education's guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources. Requirements
Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Our commitment to teaching and discovery upholds our mission to improve lives through learning.
Macmillan Learning, a rapidly growing STEM and higher education-focused company based in the heart of Austin, is seeking a Sr. Site Reliability Engineer to build quality into its personalized learning technology infrastructure. We are looking for a quality-focused engineer to complete this all-star team. As a Sr. Site Reliability Engineer, your role will be working across the entire Macmillan Learning Infrastructure, this position will require someone with strategic vision to help consolidate, build and manage the infrastructure.
Duties include working with development and engineering teams to clarify the infrastructure vision, working with our managed services vendor to drive towards the vision while maintaining uptime on 24x7 products.
Are these important to you?
* Awesome team culture
* Quality, quality, quality
* Building great products with a mission of helping students and educators achieve better learning outcomes
* Scaling for hundreds of thousands of users
* Lean and agile principles and practices
* Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation
Do you have experience with these buzzwords?
* Nginx, Apache, MySQL, Java, PHP
* Ruby, Perl, Python
* Packer, Ansible, Docker
* NewRelic, CloudWatch, Monitis, Loggly
* Atlassian ecosystem: Jira, Bamboo, Confluence
* Advanced networking: switching, routing, security, high availability
* Incident, Change and Problem management
Macmillan Culture: Everyone takes ownership of what we deliver. We are a team, not many armies of one. If you are cowboy programmer please don't apply. We have a casual work environment and flexible start times. Macbook Pros are the development machines of choice. Slack and Gmail are the communication tools of choice. Our product development process follow Agile and Lean principles.
Our stakeholders and content creators usually have PhDs in their respective fields - it's inspiring to work with so many really smart people. We are looking for the right candidate that fits our culture and aligns with our engineering philosophies. If you think you may be the right candidate, we look forward to hearing from you.
* Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication
* 10+ years' experience working in a DevOps culture
* Deep understanding of AWS Networking SDN
* Experience in mitigation of Security Audits, providing and executing a plan
* Experience in supporting Windows and Linux hybrid solutions
* Troubleshoot and resolve production issues
* Develop and maintain processes, tools, and documentation in support of production
* Participate in 24/7/365 on-call rotation
* Experience with cloud storage solutions, SQL database administration, AWS, cloud networking solutions and/or distributed computing technology
* Understanding of Unix/Linux and Windows systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems and client-server protocols along the way
* Scripting and automation using shell, Ruby, Perl, Python, etc.
* Continuous integration servers such as Bamboo, Jenkins, etc.
* Monitoring and alerting systems such as NewRelic, CloudWatch, nagios, etc.
* Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams (developers, test engineers, DBAs, etc.)