Forward Air (NASDAQ: FWRD) is a leading asset-light freight and logistics company, providing less-than-truckload (LTL), truckload, intermodal and pool distribution services across the United States and in Canada. We are a highly respected transportation and logistics Company with revenues in excess of $1B annually. As an industry leader, we are dedicated to finding and developing the best people. We want individuals who share our core values and demonstrate a true passion for what we do. Forward Air offers excellent compensation and benefits packages to our employees, as well as tremendous growth opportunities for top performers.
Position: Senior Network Engineer
Forward Air, Inc. is seeking a Sr. Data Network Engineer who will ensure the stability and integrity of in-house data and wireless network services. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization. In addition, the Network Engineer will be responsible for service and support of local area networks, wide area network, routers, switches, firewalls, wireless solutions, etc. within the infrastructure of multiple locations. The candidate will work with other staff to assist with coordination of LAN/WAN related issues and activities. The candidate will monitor performance and troubleshoot the overall network. The candidate will participate as a local technical resource in systems projects involving data center / network activities and will be responsible to assist in the support of the end user community. The ideal candidate has a very strong understanding of core networking concepts, network monitoring, troubleshooting, and experience with meeting deadlines.
Core Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning:
* Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
* Perform network maintenance, configuration, and capacity planning.
* Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network resource administration, appropriate use, and disaster recovery.
* Acquisition & Deployment:
* Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, switches, Access Points, UPSs, and other hardware.
* Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
* Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
* Interact and negotiate with vendors and contractors to secure network products and services.
* Operational Management:
* Ensure that LAN/WAN configurations are compatible and consistent with the global standards of the company.
* Install, configure, and manage all network hardware and equipment, including routers, switches, wireless, and UPSs.
* Manage security solutions, including firewall, anti-virus, and intrusion detection systems.
* Investigate and troubleshoot network problems and perform LAN/WAN communication repair during and after hours.
* Monitor and test network performance.
* Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, security patches and repairs.
* Act as a point of contact and resource for management, staff, and vendors in assigned areas related to network and IS services.
* Assist other IT staff in implementing and designing network solutions.
* Assist with systems backup/restore/and offsite media storage and retention activities
* Other Duties as assigned
* College diploma or university degree in the field of Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience is required.
* 5 plus years experience in network administration/engineering
* Strong understandings of Cisco's Network implementation in VMWare environment using a Cisco UCS, FlexPod and Cisco Nexus switches.
* Design and implement security processes and procedures and perform cost benefit analysis on all recommended strategies
* Collaborate with external auditors to conduct in-depth compliance audits and penetration testing, presenting results to senior management.
* Perform network security assessments and compliance reviews.
* Ensure timely resolution and remediation of network security risks.
* Coordinate and conduct application and network vulnerability scans.
* Assess and implement new security toolsets and related procedures
* Experience with large-scale global network environments conducting Internet facing e-Commerce -BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, Multicast, LAN/WAN network design, configuration, and troubleshooting.
* Network solutions, standards and protocols WAN Acceleration
* TCP/IP and various Internet Protocols DNS, NAT, IPSec, HTTP/HTTPS, SSH, SSL, SNMP, NFS, IPv4, Digital Certificates, Web Security architecture.
* L2 technologies-VLANs/VLAN tagging, VTP, Spanning Tree, Etherchannel, portchannel , Gigabit/10Gigabit switched networks
* L3 technologies-IP Sub-netting, IP routing, BGP, OSPF, VRRP, HSRP, VRF.
* WAN technologies, T1, DSL, DS3, MPLS, VPN, WAN Optimization.
* Firewalls, router ACLs, IPSec VPNs, RADIUS, and TACACS.
* Network hardware platforms and their specifications
* Experience in designing networks from layer 1 to layer 3.
* Experience configuring and maintaining Layer2/3 Switches and Routers and building switch stacks.
* Experience with configuring and maintaining Cisco firewalls
* Experience with routing protocols (BGP, EIGRP, OSPF)
* Knowledge of network configurations for virtual platforms
* Experience in IP Address management
* Experience in designing and implementing Network Security
* Expertise in troubleshooting tools (tcpdump, wireshark, SolwarWinds, etc.)
* Demonstrated understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts
* Experience working with Third Party Vendors such as ISPs
* Experience with Change Management Processes
* Good time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
* Good analytical, logical thinking and problem-solving skills
* Ability to motivate and direct staff members and subordinates.
* Strong understanding of the organizations goals and objectives.
* Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
* Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on listening and questioning skills.
* Strong documentation skills.
* Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
* Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
* Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language to non-technical staff and end users.
* Keen attention to detail.
* Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Exceptional customer service orientation.
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
We recognize people as our most valuable asset. Our competitive salary and benefits package includes 401K, stock ownership plans, dental insurance, medical insurance, disability benefits, prescription drug coverage, confidential employee assistance programs, life insurance, vision care plan, paid sick time, paid company holidays, and paid vacations.
Forward Air is an Equal Opportunity employer.