Our rapid growth challenges us to continuously rethink, improve and innovate our architecture. Managing billions of files, allowing millions of people to collaborate, and building a platform to support other developers. This forces us to go through a massive technology transformation to scale with this growth.
Box is undergoing a transformation to be more cloud native (https://github.com/cncf/toc/blob/master/DEFINITION.md). We are rapidly adopting Kubernetes and microservices which is making our systems more distributed and complex in nature. To make that journey easier, we are adopting a service mesh to modernize our service-to-service communication infrastructure to hide away some of the complexity.
The Service Mesh Team is packed with motivated and smart engineers who understand the impact of our work to Box's success. That breeds an amazing sense of ownership and pride within the team - values we believe will be key to adapt how we work in a world of microservices and cloud-native.
What makes this role special
Box was amongst the earliest adopter, since 2014, of Kubernetes and is using it at large scale in production. We have open sourced and shared our story with the community, such as:
* Box's Kubernetes Journey: Leading an Organization's Transition to DevOps
* Introducing kube-iptables-tailer: Better Networking Visibility in Kubernetes Clusters
* Continuous Delivery with Kubernetes at Box
* Kubernetes: Finally...A True Cloud Platform
We have now set our eyes on service mesh and you will have the opportunity of playing a pivotal role in that journey. You will have the opportunity to build key skills that are extremely relevant in the industry. And you will have many opportunities to open source, blog and deliver talks on the same.
What will you be doing here
You are going to have the unique opportunity to solve interesting technical challenges by defining, designing and deploying a service mesh in our hybrid cloud and hybrid platform, always thinking about reliability, scalability, resilience, security, and performance. As you drive and scale our infrastructure and service migration to the cloud, you will get to work with modern technologies including Envoy, Istio and Kubernetes. You will have visibility across all of Engineering and have impact directly on the entire business.
Who you are
* You have some larger-scale production operations experience and enjoy talking about stability, scalability and performance limits of web-services
* You know how to navigate Linux and are familiar with containers and Kubernetes
* You have used tools like Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Spinnaker, SmartStack, et al to manage and scale multi-tier web-services infrastructure
* You understand what it takes to operationalize a critical infrastructure component and how to maintain it
* You are interested in software engineering and have some hands-on experience with a scripting language, such as Python, Ruby, Perl, or bash script
* You are well-versed in networking fundamentals, such as TCP/IP, HTTP
* You act like an owner and strive to do work you're proud of. You believe in spreading (and acquiring) knowledge through mentorship
* You enjoy troubleshooting in a distributed Linux systems environment and are comfortable in tracing problems through applications, systems and networks
* You have good oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate complex subjects
* You need not have extensive experience working on a service mesh, service discovery or load balancing, as long as you are a fast learner and can demonstrate strong fundamentals in software engineering
* 5+ years of experience
* You will join the existing Service Mesh team helping to design and implement a modern service mesh that will be used by all services
* You will be responsible for automating and operationalizing the service mesh and work hand-in-hand with other engineering teams across Dev and Ops
* You will maintain and support the incumbent service discovery and load balancing solution for microservices, and help us migrate towards the modern service mesh
About Box: Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access andmanage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.
Box is a company that provides an online file sharing and cloud content management service.