The SQL Conversion Developer converts client data into Tyler's courts and justice software in a way that meets our clients' business needs.
We write SQL code. Yes, raw T-SQL code. In scripts, in stored procs…we write SQL in a Microsoft SQL Server environment. We are not a drag and drop shop using SSIS. We are a team of people who love to problem solve with SQL scripts. That's certainly not the only thing we do, but it is a fundamental part of it. We are not a BI shop and we don't build or populate data warehouses, we migrate data from one source system to another.
We have some great tools that we wrote to sequence and run the SQL we write. We are always looking to innovate and make our tools and processes more efficient. That's just how we do things here.
This role involves data analysis - where does this unusual data go into our database structure? - and problem solving - this client stores their financials rolled up and we need a more granular breakdown.
We are looking for experienced SQL developers who really love to code in T-SQL to join a very collaborative team. You'll have some very experienced folks around you and some newer folks, all of whom are learning together. No one knows everything, so we lean on each other. A lot. We share scripts, we do code reviews to help, and we have active mentoring happening every day.
We are part of something bigger than ourselves at Tyler. We are making government more effective and efficient in how they run their local justice system. What we do saves taxpayers money and provides more access to justice for everyone.
* Did we already say writing SQL? Yeah, we write a lot of SQL on this job. This can be complex SQL, not just your run of the mill SQL. The data model is large and complex with a lot to learn. If you don't like writing SQL by hand, this is not a good fit for you. If you love it, read on.
* We do data analysis on each project, so you'll need to be good at piecing together data puzzles, asking discerning questions, and working with colleagues and clients to get answers
* We have a custom toolset we built. We want you to learn it, use it, and tell us how we can improve it.
* We have some solid processes that have been honed through 15 years of doing data conversions. We want you to learn these processes - because they really do work - and then work with us on finding ways to improve them or replace them with better ways to do our work.
* Database backups, restores, creating indexes, shrinking databases - we consider these types of operations basic to what we do. You will be expected to do these things and understand when, why, and how to do them.
* Work in SQL Server environments. We work with multiple versions of SQL Server depending upon the project. We usually cover the current release of SQL Server and two earlier releases.
* Some of us work on Azure projects, so familiarity with that may be helpful.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), or related field or relevant work experience; no degree, no problem as long as you know your stuff.
* You should value deadlines and regularly complete work on time
* You should be a strong problem solver
* Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, teamwork, and customer service skills.
* Technical knowledge requirements:
* Proficiently use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
* Write and maintain stored procedures and functions using T-SQL and SSMS
* Use aggregate functions in Microsoft SQL Server
* Create and maintain complex queries in Microsoft SQL Server using T-SQL
* Understand and use database schemas, tables, relationships, and constraints
* Develop, maintain, and troubleshoot conversion packages
* A few of us also write Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) reports from time to time
* Even fewer of us dabble in application development
Tyler is subject to regulations, guidelines and/or client requirements relating to the qualifications of Tyler personnel performing certain client work. Because of the nature of this position, it is a requirement that the candidate can successfully pass a federal background check at the time an offer is extended and over the course of employment with Tyler.
About Tyler Technologies
Tyler Technologies is a provider of end-to-end information management solutions and services for local governments.