Solution design professional
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
The purpose of this role is to create E2E designs/stories and decompose the design into impacts on specific components within a larger change. The role understands the wider impacts of the components and their underlying design. This role provides the technical direction for an individual design e.g. individual stories. These will be a self-contained piece of work, with no ambiguity, as an E2E design fits within a larger change/scope. The role holder will produce an E2E design, and is not expected to be resolving debates as the work is straightforward.
What you'll be doing
* Capture business requirements by working with key business stakeholders and ensure that these requirements are translated into high quality technical solutions that are delivered to agreed dates
* Promptly resolve any issues that arise during design and provide a technical steer as required
* Provide input into product development and roadmaps as appropriate
* Provide RoM costs against requirments, running Feasibility Studies or RIAs if required
* Ensure that designs adhere to architectural principles and policies
* Contribute to innovation and transformation within the design space
* Ensure that solution/s offer minimum delivery and operational risk and lifetime total cost of ownership (TCO)
* Ensure that all aspects of a solution are addressed spanning networks, systems and process
* Develop expertise in specific areas/e2e processes working under guidance from a senior solution designer
* Provide in-life support for issues on the solution, root cause analysis for issues in relation to their designs.
* Ensuring E2E non-functionable impacts are accounted for in the design of solutions (component (including manageability, support, volumetric & security aspects)
* Conform to standard solution approaches.
* Work on multiple stories in a release e.g. work on billing element within a release / service monitoring or other domains
* Challenge requirements if they are not clear.
* Review detailed STORM stories to understand the requirements that need to be met in the design
We'll also need to see these on your CV
* IT background (Computer Science or Engineering degree) preferrable
* Understanding of networks
* XML and Yang and TOSCA (to verify that designs are correct)
* Business analysis
* Requirements management
* Design - ability to complete complex e2e designs or provide technical leadership for groups of designs
* Shaping/driving cost optimised technical solutions to meet customer requirements
* System Architecture - thorough understanding of principles
* E2E solution design process - understanding
* Understanding of business process journeys (L2C, T2R, P&B)
* Test driven design
* Understand of agile methodology
* ITIL/ETOM/TOGAF qualification
* Excellent communicator
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong problem solving ability
* Stakeholder management
* Risk management
* Delivery oriented
Why choose us?
We've always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world's first telecommunications company. At our heart we're a technology company with research and innovation in our bones and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers - those are the values we live by whilst also creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe and secure, to delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport. Today in this fast changing, always on, digital world our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism and resilience to help propel us forward we'll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things and pursue new careers. If that's you and what you're looking for, we'd love you to be part of our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We're creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That's why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Any relevant engineering degree