Are you searching for challenging software engineering work? Do you thrive in a dynamic and collaborative environment? If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Software Engineer to help us perform full lifecycle development and rapid prototyping for the Navy's manned and unmanned systems. You will be joining a hardworking team of engineers who cultivate an energetic agile-concept development environment developing navigation, command and control, and environmental sensing software. You will contribute to the development and readiness of the Navy's mission-critical systems.
As a Software Engineer for Submarine and Unmanned Systems…
* Your primary responsibility will be to perform software engineering for both submarine systems and unmanned platforms. This is to include requirements development, object-oriented design, agile software development, laboratory system integration and testing, and field testing.
* You will install and configure mission-critical shipboard systems. This includes unique opportunities to ride US Navy ships in support of system sea trials and crew training.
* You will propose and develop innovative ways to apply cutting-edge technologies to extend the capabilities and performance of existing naval systems.
* You will document software development activities and test results. Prepare for and conduct periodic design reviews, as well as, technical reports and other briefing materials for presentation to all levels of staff and government agencies.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
* Have a B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field
* Have 1 years of experience working in software engineering with Java, C or C#
* Are highly skilled in a breadth of software development knowledge
* Experience communicating with all levels of staff and clients
* Hold an active Secret security clearance and can ultimately obtain TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
* Are willing and able to travel up to 20% of the time
* Are able to pass a physical exam
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
* Have a M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering
* Have 3 to 5 years of experience working with software development, and in distributed systems development
* Have familiarity with systems programming in GNU/Linux environments with embedded programming principles and real-time software development expertise
* Have experience in Linux system administration and network design
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by.