Please note this posting is to advertise potential job opportunities. This exact role may not be open today, but could open in the near future. When you apply, a Cisco representative may contact you directly if a relevant position opens.
Who You'll Work With:
Join a team of empathetic engineers.
For years, Cisco's vision has been to change the way the world works, lives, plays, and learns. Our vision is more relevant today than ever. We made the Internet what it is today. First, we focused on creating connectivity. Now, we're entering the Internet of Everything transition-an era where we'll help create unprecedented value by connecting the unconnected.
We are looking for talented engineers who are looking for a unique opportunity to help integrate award winning, best of breed security into a broad range of Cisco networking products. The team's focus is on addressing challenging integration problems while providing a fun and interesting environment, filled with opportunities to learn new technologies. This group understands and cares about how our engineering brothers and sisters think and work, so that we can consistently deliver solutions with optimal integration. Care to join a team that cares?
What else do we care about?
* The world around us. Cisco provides up to $10,000/yr in matching charitable contributions and 5 days of paid time (in addition to normal PTO) for volunteer work. https://blogs.cisco.com/tag/time2give
* Each voice in our diverse team.
* Home life: Take time to spend with your friends and family so you're fully charged to deliver awesomeness during a normal workweek. Your personal time matters to us and we will do our best not to disturb it.
* Open Source: use and enhance Cisco funded open source including Snort and ClamAV. We actively work to open source more of our work through Cisco DevNet. We structure our project as an InnerSource Commons project… the best of Open Source community with proprietary code.
* Winning Together: Cisco's People Deal is awesome https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/careers/we-are-cisco/people-deal.html
* Ethics: we are honest and above-board in all our dealings.
* Growing our team members with training, mentoring, and the right tools to allow each team member's inner awesome to shine.
* Having fun while building great stuff!
What You'll Do:
* Building great solutions! This will include design and development of innovative solutions to integrate existing technologies into new products and market offerings.
* Contribute to all phases of software development, from requirements gathering through implementation, automation and sustaining.
* Listening to internal users, team members, and customers to help encourage open collaboration.
* Creating excellent, understandable communications around our systems: documentation, example code, screencasts, prototypes, etc.
* Making the complexities of network security system understandable… and where possible, simple.
* Contribute to the development of project goals, schedules, and resource planning.
* Submitting and commenting on pull requests.
* Writing gnarly tests, including the use of Chaos Monkey and Jepsen.
* Represent Cisco to customers and the rest of the industry in the development and delivery of innovative solutions.
Required Experience and Skills:
* Empathy, teamwork and strong communication skills are essential.
* Docker and Container Management Systems.
* Background in software design, implementation and debugging.
* Experience with a native compiled language: C, C++, Rust, Haskell, or Go.
* Experience with a scripting language: Python, Ruby, or Perl.
* Experience with a JVM language: Java, Kotlin, Scala, or Clojure
* Embedded software development experience in a real-time Linux OS environment.
* Solid Networking knowledge.
* MSEE/CS with 5+ years of experience in a software development position, or BSEE/CS with 7+ years of experience in a software development position, or A Doctorate and 10+ years of experience in software development, or Material and demonstrable contributions to shipping software combined with significant community interaction.
Desired Experience and Skills
* Material and demonstrable contributions to shipping software combined with significant community interaction.
* Other container technologies including LXC.
* User Experience and User Interface design experience.
* Knowledge of Security Technologies - Firewalls, IPS and Web security.
* Knowledge of Cisco product and IOS is always helpful.
* Experience with Kubernetes.
* Experience with Jenkins.
* Experience with Git.
* Open Source or InnerSource Commons experience.
* Screencasting or YouTubing experience.
* Network API Experience: gRPC, REST, JWT
* Agile software development experience.
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.
Cisco is a global company that designs and sells a broad range of technologies across networking, security, collaboration, applications, and the cloud.