Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, Chicago and in sales offices around the globe, we're dedicated to our trailblazing mission-enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About the DCX (Developer and Consumer Experiences) Team:
The DCX team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Pilgrim SDK (the always on passive location detection engine) to our apps Foursquare and Swarm. We spend time building features that highlight the value of location for developers wanting to build their own apps, and users who should get a benefit from an app using their location information. The DCX team is a core piece of the Foursquare business and is a high impact team with big implications on the broader company success.
About this role
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help with:
* Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
* Build the server side features to support our Pilgrim SDK and its related suite of products.
* Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
* Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the Foursquare City Guide and Swarm apps forward
* Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
* 4+ years of proven experience building software for fast growing web or mobile products
* Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
* Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
* A plus if comfortable with React based websites or if experienced with mobile development
* Bonus points for experience using Spark or, Kafka
* Comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup environment
* Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.