As a member of our Cloud Engineering team, you will be working on our flagship product, the Meraki Dashboard, which is the industry's only end-to-end cloud solution that unifies WAN, LAN, wireless LAN, and mobile device management under a single pane of glass. We're a highly collaborative, technical, & cross functional agile team that is responsible for ensuring that our backend services are secure, resilient, performant, & scalable to meet the demands from our continued world-wide growth. Our engineers are data processing experts, who are skilled in developing complex data ingestion & transformation processes, empowering other teams to deliver data driven insights & application features.
As a cloud backend engineer, you will be involved in all aspects of SDLC including designing, developing, testing, deploying & monitoring features end-to-end. You will build innovative solutions that can process petabytes of real-time data ingested from millions of Meraki devices deployed all across the globe. You'll be a key contributor to our portfolio of numerous Scala & C++ based backend services that make thousands of complex, real-time decisions per second possible through the implementation of various approximation algorithms. You will also work on projects that span numerous domains-networking, databases, web app development, data processing, etc. All the while, you will collaborate extensively with product managers & engineers from firmware, frontend, security & prodops teams to architect holistic, full-stack software features.
You might work on:
* Adding features to Little Table (our custom time-series database that stores 100 of TB's of data and is written to millions of times a second) to guarantee compliance & high performance across our geo-distributed customer base during rapidly evolving data regulations like GDPR
* Providing always-up connectivity to millions of devices through M-Tunnel (our in-house VPN like infrastructure) by building intelligent traffic routing & scaling capabilities
* Gathering real-time data from millions of Meraki devices, analyzing it, applying various algorithms to study the behavioral patterns & then storing the aggregated data in a way that can easily be displayed on the Meraki Dashboard
* Ensuring data consistency across various multi-region data centers that house the backbone of Meraki's configuration data to enable a global customer base
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
* 2+ years of work experience in software development, particularly in systems, networking, distributed systems, databases, and data processing frameworks
* Strong familiarity in at least one of the following languages: Scala, Ruby, Java, Python, C/C++, Go
* Basic familiarity with SQL
* A focused, organized approach to development, testing, and quality
* Excellent technical collaboration, communication and presentation skills
* Experience in analyzing, scaling, and debugging large systems processing lots of data
* Passion for the science in computer science
Bonus points for:
* A BS/MS/Ph.D in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a STEM field
* Interesting personal projects or contributions to open-source projects
* Experience in development or performance measurement of network protocols
* Experience working in an agile environment and delivering continuous increments to software
* A history of building scalable data-processing engines
At Meraki, we are passionate about building real products that our customers love. We believe in fostering a positive culture by hiring, mentoring, and coaching smart, helpful, humble people. We work organically through small teams that self-organize both laterally and vertically. With the backing of supportive management, we are constantly looking for ways to improve organizationally through introspection. Finally, we maintain a positive relationship with Cisco, which provides the stability and resources of a larger company without losing our startup vibe. This includes having an awesome office that overlooks the Bay Bridge and is stocked full of free food and drinks.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.