Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC ("BFW"), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education's guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources. Requirements
Are you feeling constrained in your current role? Do you have more to offer than simply cranking out code? Does the thought of surrounding yourself with mission-driven colleagues and building cloud-based software sound appealing?
If so, let's talk about where your career is headed, and how that fits with our team at Macmillan.
Location: This role will be working out of our office in north Austin, near 183 and Mopac. Our north Austin office is open and bright, and boasts a fully stocked kitchen, arcade and board games, lots of conference rooms, and plenty of desk space to collaborate with teammates or take heads-down time when needed.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, generous PTO, and more
Summary of Role
Our software engineering team needs some additional, innovative "muscle" in order to keep up with the demand for new product capabilities and offerings. This is a mid-level software engineer position, focusing on the development of the back end services and architecture for our family of educational products. You will be joining the back end software engineering team, our "Platform Team".
* Work within value teams to deliver value to our users through exciting new product capabilities.
* In partnership with your other Platform teammates, you will provide active stewardship of our back end design, architecture, and development patterns. We want your help in keeping our suite of products robust and reliable (we boast a 99.99% uptime!).
* Helping drive innovation through new uses of technology in key areas of software product development.
* Java: 3 or more years of experience working primarily as a Java developer
* Spring or Spring Boot: 2 or more years of experience working with Spring / Spring Boot framework
* Rest APIs: 3 or more years of experience with back end Rest APIs
* Team mentality: must be open and collaborative. Inflexible or uber-perfectionist personality types may not be happy on this team.
Nice to Have
* Experience with Rest API's (Bonus if this is in a SaaS environment)
* Experience with Python
* Experience with Kotlin
* Experience with DevOps
* Experience with MongoDB
* Solid knowledge of back-end best practices
* Velocity; must be a fast learner and an efficient worker
* Empathy; we are an inclusive, accepting bunch at Macmillan. Hopefully you are too!
What's in it for you?
* An environment rich with challenges, creating regular opportunities for you to evolve your career and extend your impact.
* A great deal of autonomy, with an open-door policy to seek feedback and support as you see fit.
* A forward-leaning product development team, rapidly evolving toward a continuous deployment model.
* A talented engineering team, eager to listen to your opinions and broaden your horizons.
* A mission-driven workforce, focused on improving the classroom and educational experience through instructor and student outcomes.
* Excellent work/life balance. Macmillan has a human-centered mission, which includes fostering the humanity and individuality of our employees.
* Competitive pay and above-market-average benefits; we can't wait to show you what our healthcare and PTO offerings look like!
How to Apply
If our team's work and mentality sounds like the positive change you've been looking for, we'd love to meet you! We know job hunting is not a one-size-fits-all situation; please choose from any of the below means to apply for this role and get started:
* Apply here! OR
* Apply through this LinkedIn posting; please remember to attach your resume if using the "Easy Apply" option.