Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products. We are highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Sponsored Products helps merchants, retail vendors, and brand owners succeed via native advertising that grows incremental sales of their products sold through Amazon. The Sponsored Products Ad Marketplace team optimizes the systems and ad placements to match advertiser demand with publisher supply using a combination of machine learning, big data analytics, ultra-low latency high-volume engineering systems, and quantitative product focus. Our goals are to help buyers discover new products they love, be the most efficient way for advertisers to meet their business objectives and continue to build a major, sustainable business that helps Amazon continuously innovate on behalf of all customers. We are looking for innovative and customer-obsessed professionals who can help us take our products to the next level. We embrace leaders with a startup mentality -- those who seek a disruptive yet clear mission and purpose, have an unambiguous owner mindset, and are relentlessly obsessed with making connections with customers.
As a Software Development Manager, you will assemble and lead a team of engineers to solve challenging technical and business problems. You will be pioneering within a multi-dimensional optimization space which requires you to balance the interests of advertisers, shoppers, and Amazon. Innovation is a key area of focus for you because you will not be applying technology to improve the product -- technology IS the product. You will drive technical strategy and architecture at both the infrastructure and application tiers. Your experience in leadership and coaching will help you grow the individuals within your team and foster a transparent, collaborative development environment.
In this role, you will own the Sponsored Products advertisement index that captures all advertiser changes in near real-time so that the advertisements are utilized effectively in the ads server. You will also own the algorithmic and natural language processing (NLP) components that support millions of internet users and handle billions of queries per day, all delivered in milliseconds. You will collaborate with applied/NLP scientists and principal engineers within the team and across disciplines as part of your daily job. You will design and build large scale and low latency infrastructure to serve advertisements based on machine learning/deep-learning and other advanced machine learning approaches.
* Highly analytical and data-driven: You solve problems in ways that are backed up with data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
* Technically fearless: You are not satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries. Your dial goes to '11'.
* Team obsessed: You find and cultivate talent to be capable of achieving outstanding results. You help develop the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
* Humbitious: You are ambitious, yet humble. You recognize that there is always opportunity for improvement and use introspection and feedback from teammates and peers to raise the bar for your team.
* Ambigu-capable: You are able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you are quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.
* Own technical vision and direction: You identify and mitigate risks, construct project schedules, and prepare status reports; you embrace performance metrics and measurement techniques because they help you assess how well system-related services are running.
* Build and grow your team: You will be accountable for building an engineering team that delivers results. This means you will wear a lot of hats -- from coaching individuals, to leading technical discussions, recruiting, establishing processes, and so on. You will be an example of Amazon's leadership principles and work to grow more leaders within your group.
* Collaborate on product direction: You will build and maintain strong relationships between engineering and partner disciplines (Applied Science, Product, User Experience, QA) to ensure that we are focused on delivering the right product for customers.
* Lead beyond your team: You will be a key part of a small but growing community of engineering leaders who support their teams and contribute to the overall growth of our product development organization. You will share your best practices and technical acumen in order to drive technology decisions across our organization.
* Own your own shop: Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world. We run operations 24x7x365 and the services your team delivers must meet high standards for operational excellence. Our teams own and operate the systems we build.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.