Department: Educ Research Programs
Northwestern University's School of Education and Social Policy is seeking a part-time Software Developer for approximately 22 hours/week. The Software Developer will work to support research and program development for the FUSE program, (www.fusestudio.net) an interest-driven STEAM learning program for middle and high school youth in the School of Education and Social Policy at Northwestern University. The Software Developer will utilize web, graphics, usability and programming knowledge and skills to design, develop, test, and refine learning technology tools and websites developed by FUSE. Across our constantly evolving series of projects, we utilize the following technology stack:
* Drupal (PHP, MySQL)
* AWS services (S3, Lambda, etc.)
* Participates in the development of new goals and strategies based on interactions with primary user.
* Develops plans for software deployment on heterogeneous systems.
* Collaborates with user to develop workflow and best practices.
* Partners with user in designing features for technology.
* Collaborating with project teams to design and implement learning technology solutions.
* Working with curriculum developers and subject matter experts to design and develop tightly integrated tools and curriculum materials
* Creates and maintains code documentation.
* Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
* Identifies database and software performance issues, and makes adjustments.
* Performing data collection, organization and summarization for project usage, and maintaining project code libraries
* Researches and develops new algorithms and statistical techniques designed for analyzing data based on customer needs. Develops and maintains software infrastructure, via patches, bundles, releases and maintenance packs.
* Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
* Completes tier 3 troubleshooting.
* Designs databases and data structures.
* Prioritizes tasks within project.
* Meets with business analyst/stakeholder to determine requirements.
* Formulating and documenting technical strategies for projects including driving the specification of technical architectures needed to support project goals and deliverables
* Writing code and making decisions independently but under the direction of the Program Director and the Senior Software Developer.
* Applying principles of information architecture and usability to develop effective interfaces and navigation structures, particularly for K-12 students and teachers
* Other duties as assigned.
* Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
* 2 years relevant experience required
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
* Intermediate knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs is required.
* Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
* Experience working effectively as part of a small software development team, including close collaboration and team coding
* 3 years programming experience with web technologies (LAMP stack or equivalent)
* Ability to learn new technologies quickly as needed per project
* A Master's degree in computer science or closely related field or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired
* Science and/or engineering background
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
* Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
* Exemplary organizational and communication skills
* Creativity in problem solving to independently resolve technical issues as well as extrapolate from one situation to another
* Graphics programs - Adobe CS, Gimp, etc.
* OOP, Design Patterns (esp. MVC), UX & best practices (Agile, Continuous Integration, etc.)
* Testing and deployment automation (e.g. Jenkins, CircleCI, etc.)
* Experience with at least one web framework (e.g. Drupal, Django, RoR, etc.)
* Win / *NIX sysadmin experience
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.