IBM maintains the largest corporate network in the world and it is highly critical to the success of our business. The CIO Network Engineering organization is looking for highly skilled and motivated individuals to further improve our network resiliency, quality, diversify our technology stack and embrace next generation networking. These changes will enable faster, smarter decision-making and deliver speed to value. The network engineering tools and automation squads are focused on driving automation, analytics and tooling into the greater organization to give the operation and deployment visibility and insights into the operations of the global network.
We're looking for a Site Reliability Engineer, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Site Reliability Engineers take a different approach it comes to hosting and managing infrastructure, services, and applications. We approach this as a software problem instead of as an operations problem. Applying software engineering practices to hosting and managing enables our services to better adapt to all types of changes and failure scenarios. To help us accomplish this approach we use the latest techniques, practices and technology from the industry while hosting large-scale mission critical infrastructure. Some of the techniques, practices, and technology we use are: Docker, IaaS, PaaS, ChatOps, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Deployment, DevOps, and Immutable Infrastructure. We strive to keep learning and improving, and we work to share the knowledge we have learned throughout IBM.
Our project is a highly visible connectivity layer between IBM and the Cloud, used by many groups and service providers in IBM to connect their internal and cloud based assets and users. We are not just building a highly automated build process with regression testing, monitoring and deployment promotion, but also a service that customers can also use within their own DevOps pipeline to deploy their cloud solutions.
This is an important technical role that will require participation in an evolving culture, designed to deliver software solutions from different teams into a continually available environment. Ultimately, your work will decide if code drops are ready to deploy to production and help ensure that, if a deployment fails, that it "fails small and recovers quickly".
* Design and Implement automated solutions for rolling out our teams applications from test to stage to production
* Extend the DevOps tools we have with custom written models, to adapt them to specific team needs
* Drive requirements for our team's code base to made continuous deployment easier, and help implement those requirements
Must have the ability to work in the US without current/future need for IBM sponsorship
A day in the life at IBM
* Throughout the day, you will collaborate with your teammates and interact with our product owners - all while being based out of our Cambridge, MA office.
* Participate and/or lead in our lunch and learn sessions.
* Take a break and have fun by participating with other IBM'ers in collaborative video games.
* Take advantage of our exercise room, which includes cardio and weights.
* Work in an open environment where creativity is welcome and encouraged.
* Staying relevant to emerging trends in areas related to DevOps and Cloud.
* Seek recognition by attaining such awards as "Extremely Smart Person" and "Meritorious Coding before Caffeine."
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
* At least 3 plus years of experience in troubleshooting complex systems, including operating systems, networks and application code.
* At least 3 plus years of experience in software development experience in at least one modern language such as Python or Java.
* Demonstrated experience with Automation, DevOps, Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment technologies. (E.g. Ansible, Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes)
* Demonstrated experience developing an enterprise system with automated deployment
* Knowledge of UNIX/Linux systems.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
* Experience with SCM systems like Git.
* Strong background in network management and diagnostics.
* Basic security knowledge.
* Database knowledge including SQL and NoSQL.
* 1-year experience with the Linux CLI.
* 1-year experience with Docker; building and deploying containers.
* Working knowledge and/or experience with the Agile methodologies.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Master's Degree Commissionable: No
Key Job Details
* Category:Software Development & Support
* Required Education:Bachelor's Degree
* Position Type:Professional
* Employment Type:Full-Time
* Contract Type:Regular
* Req ID:226344BR
* Location:CAMBRIDGE, MA US